Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter {A Tutorial}

I’m a lover of peanut butter. Spoon to mouth–love it! Swirled into a smoothie–heck yes! Buttah on an apple–don’t mind if I do.

No shame here–I luuurrrve the stuff!

Add the creamy goodness to just about anything, and I can’t keep my hands off. When I’m not eating it, I’m thinking about. All day I dream about peanut butter.

Oh, peanut butter, how I love thee. You cheer me up when I am down. You’re always there for me when I need to stress eat you right from the jar with a spoon. You’re a healthy, protein-packed treat when my muffin has gone rogue.

I found this photo the other day on Etsy and thought, “So true!”il_570xN.342556360When I’m craving peanut butter, I head on over to Averie Cooks to ogle page after page of the peanut butter deliciousness that she has going on over there 24-7. The girl knows and loves her peanut butter. It’s pure peanutty heaven over there.

The idea for this dark chocolate peanut butter derived from Averie’s site. She makes homemade peanut butter look so easy to whip up. And, guess what? It is.

Homemade Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter | www.themessybakerblog.com-8316

It’s so very easy. All it takes is a bunch of peanuts–I used honey roasted–and a few tablespoons of dark chocolate chips. That’s it–two ingredients. Whir the peanuts in a blender until smooth, and then add the chocolate. The heat of the blade melts the dark chocolate right into the creamy peanut butter.

The five stages of peanut butter:

Homemade Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter  www.themessybakerblog.com-8331

Homemade Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter  www.themessybakerblog.com-8333

Homemade Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter  www.themessybakerblog.com-8336

Homemade Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter  www.themessybakerblog.com-8342

Homemade Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter  www.themessybakerblog.com-8343

Homemade Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter | www.themessybakerblog.com-8345
Add the chocolate and blend until the chocolate melts and the mixture becomes smooth.

The peanut butter process is scary at first. Not scary as in challenging; scary as in the mixture starts off looking like it’s going to turn into butter, but then it turns into a big honkin’ dough ball instead. Don’t worry, the dough ball is completely normal.

The first time I made peanut butter I thought, “This doesn’t look right. Is there supposed to be a dough ball in my food processor?” The dough ball comes with the territory. After the dough ball comes smooth, velvety peanut butter. Be patient, the butter will come.

Homemade Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter | www.themessybakerblog.com-8317

I use honey roasted peanuts to give the peanut butter an extra boost of sweetness. Salty and sweet are so good together.

The result is creamy, chocolatey peanut butter goodness. The honey roasted peanuts add a subtle roasted sugar/caramel flavor, and, of course, the chocolate takes it over the top.

Homemade Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter | www.themessybakerblog.com-8325

I spread it on just about everything. I smear on whole wheat toast before I run, add it to my favorite peanut butter banana smoothie for a snack, or dip my apples in it between meals. It’s super versatile.

Or, you can ditch all of those things and spoon it out of the jar and right into your mouth. Mmm, that’s my favorite way to eat it.

Homemade Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter | www.themessybakerblog.com-8322

Either way you eat it, enjoy!

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter
Author: Jennie
Prep time:
Total time:
Serves: 8 Ounces
Ingredients
  • 8 ounces (1 1/2 cups) honey roasted peanuts
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
Instructions
  1. Add the honey roasted peanuts to the bowl of your food processor. Allow the peanuts to pulse until the mixture becomes smooth, about 4-5 minutes.
  2. Add the chocolate chips and pulse until the chocolate melts and the mixture becomes smooth.
  3. Transfer the mixture to an 8-ounce jar with a tight fitting lid. I store my peanut butter in a mason jar.

Share this post:Pin on Pinterest3.1kShare on Facebook5Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUpon0Share on Yummly0

43 Responses to “Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter {A Tutorial}”

Janie — September 6, 2013 at 8:01 am

Oh. My. God.

For once, I am lost for words!

Janie x

• Jennie replied September 10th, 2013 at 8:48 am

Peanut butter has that effect.

Laura Dembowski — September 6, 2013 at 8:47 am

Love pub and homemade is even better! Averie’s site is definitely the bomb!

• Jennie replied September 10th, 2013 at 8:48 am

I love Averie’s site, and I love me some peanut butter.

Mimi — September 6, 2013 at 9:19 am

Oh my. I will definitely be making some of this stuff!

• Jennie replied September 10th, 2013 at 8:47 am

Let me know how you like it, Mimi.

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — September 6, 2013 at 9:43 am

I LOOOVE making homemade pb. Esp choc pb. Yours is so pretttyyy Jennie!!

• Jennie replied September 10th, 2013 at 8:47 am

Thanks, dahling!

Ilona Paper Passion — September 6, 2013 at 10:05 am

I have to do this! My children will love it!

• Jennie replied September 10th, 2013 at 8:47 am

Kids adore peanut butter. Thanks!

Zainab @ Blahnik Baker — September 6, 2013 at 10:57 am

Oh lawd!! This is just too good to be true.

• Jennie replied September 10th, 2013 at 8:46 am

Ha, ha! Thanks, Zainab.

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — September 6, 2013 at 11:29 am

Perfect snack! Love that Etsy sign. This would be so good on some waffles this weekend!

• Jennie replied September 10th, 2013 at 8:46 am

Yes, waffles. Why didn’t I think of that?

Peanut butter ALL THE THINGS!!! I might just show up at your house one day and steal a couple jars of this deliciousness…

• Jennie replied September 10th, 2013 at 8:46 am

Bring it on, Kim. We can make some pb together. I’m thinking cinnamon chip pb. Huh?

• LoriLynn replied January 22nd, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Ok so I was so looking to make the choc pb but now I have to go home and make two batches…I never would have thought to use my cinamon chips!!!

• Jennie replied January 28th, 2014 at 12:22 pm

I’m obsessed with cinnamon chips. You’re going to have some awesome peanut butter.

Brooks | Cakewalker — September 6, 2013 at 4:51 pm

Jennie, you’ve raised the peanut butter bar. With the ease of preparation and accessible ingredients, people are going to be thanking you for generations. Sweet!

• Jennie replied September 10th, 2013 at 8:45 am

You are too kind, Brooks. Thank you!

Susan — September 6, 2013 at 4:59 pm

I need that Etsy sign, it’s so perfect! Also describes me when I’m starving and there is nothing to eat in the house. Grab spoon, grab peanut butter (and hopefully some pretzels and chocolate chips) and I’m happy!

• Jennie replied September 10th, 2013 at 8:45 am

I always resort to pb when starving. Thanks, Susan!

Julie — September 6, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Oh my goodness. Two of my favorite things combined. I wonder if I have peanuts in the house?

• Jennie replied September 10th, 2013 at 8:45 am

Thanks, Julie!

Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen — September 6, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Mmm homemade peanut butter! My favorite. :)

• Jennie replied September 10th, 2013 at 8:44 am

Thanks, Faith!

CCU — September 7, 2013 at 1:13 am

You have brightened my day so much :D
    I could dig into this sweet nutty deliciousness any day!

• Jennie replied September 10th, 2013 at 8:43 am

Thanks, Uru. You are too sweet!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — September 7, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Ohmahgosh, girl! Love this recipe and post. This is EPIC. Thank you for taking us over to “The Dark Side”! Mwa-hahahaha! Seriously…Averie’s site ROCKS. She always inspires. Thanks for sharing! xo

• Jennie replied September 10th, 2013 at 8:43 am

Thanks, Stacy. Sometimes, the dark side isn’t so bad.

shannon — September 10, 2013 at 6:52 pm

okay: saving this for after i lose ten pounds. i can’t make this for myself right now. i want to – so much – but it’s going to have to wait. rewards system for getting my muffins to the gym.

Mallory @ Total Noms — September 11, 2013 at 11:28 am

Whaaaaaaaaaaat. Holy smokes. I need this. This on toast would be unreal! I had no idea the chocolate would melt like that just from the food processor!

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom — September 13, 2013 at 7:03 pm

omg, Jennie! I LOVE this. . how did I miss this one?!! saw this on noshonit today!! LOVE! totally making this! yummm!

• Jennie replied September 13th, 2013 at 9:41 pm

Thanks, Alice. I already devoured two jars on my own. It’s so good in a banana smoothie.

Jessica @ Floptimism — September 14, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Hi there! My name is Jessica, and I run a food blog called Floptimism where, every Saturday, I write a Weekend Wrap-Up post to share all of my favorite internet finds from the past week. I wanted to let you know that I absolutely loved this recipe for chocolate peanut butter (my favorite combination!), so much so that I included it in my blog’s Weekend Wrap-Up. I’ve included the link to the post in case you’re interested. Thanks for such a wonderful idea!

• Jennie replied September 14th, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Hi, Jessica! You are too sweet. Thank you so much for adding my post to your weekly wrap-up series. I’m so glad you liked the buttah!

Mary — September 30, 2013 at 2:23 pm

I found your recipe through Pinterest & I think my hubby will love it!
    2 questions:
    Do you store this in the fridge?
    How long does it keep? (If not devoured first.)
    Thanks!

• Jennie replied September 30th, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I store my peanut butter at room-temperature in a mason jar in my pantry. It will last up to 2 weeks. Happy eating!

1. Pingback: Epic Recipe Roundup: 200+ Summer Sweet Treats

2. Pingback: Weekend Wrap-Up: The Longest Highlight Reel Ever | Floptimism

3. Pingback: Confessions of a Chocoholic: 10 Recipes for National Chocolate Day | Healthy Way To Cook

4. Pingback: Stuff and Thangs to Eat During The Walking Dead Season Finale

5. Pingback: International Chocolate Day and a Sweet Treat for You - Hungry Healthy Girl