Jennie Loves…

Whoa, it feels like forever since I’ve posted. Really, it’s only been since last week, but, still, those few days felt like eternity.

I decided to take a weekend trip to visit my grandparents in PA with my mama. We headed out at 5 am on Saturday morning, which meant that this gal had to rise and shine at 4 am to prep. I don’t advise anyone to wake up at 4 am ever. Did you know it’s still dark out at 4 am? Well, it is–pitch black. There will be no 4 am wake up calls for me again anytime soon.

I didn’t cook for an entire weekend. What? Very out of character, I know, but oh so relaxing. I can’t remember the last weekend I took a break from cooking. That right there suggests that it has probably never happened, or it has been eons and I just can’t remember.

Do I have food for you today? Um, well, not exactly. See, the thing is, I haven’t had time to whip up anything special for you since my return home. I’ve been so busy at work this week that the last thing I feel like doing when I get home is cook and photograph.

Instead, I’ve put together a list of my current favorite must-have items. I’m like Oprah; only, I wont be giving away any of my favorite things. Trust me, if I were a gazillionaire, I would totally send you everything on my list.

Emulsion Collage

Have you heard of bakery emulsions? I just discovered them a few weeks ago at my local cake decorating store. Intrigued, I picked up a bottle. I couldn’t wait to get it home and twist the cap off. One whiff and you’re hooked. The sweet emulsions are richer, deeper, and more pronounce in flavor compared to regular extracts. I’ve stocked my baking cabinet with a few of LorAnn’s extensive list of emulsion flavors. Good-bye, extracts. Hello, emulsions!

Seche Top

Seche Base

If you read my blog on a regular basis, then you know that I’m a nail polish enthusiast. I love the stuff–can’t get enough of it! I own close to the entire line of O.P.I. This may sound weird, but I pick my colors based on the name of the polish. Not the color, but the name. If it’s funky, then I gotta have it. My current favorite is My Chihuahua Bites. How’s that for funky?

In order to increase the longevity of my polish and protect my nails from dish water, I use Seche top and base coats. The stuff is amazing. It dries ultra fast and my nails stay strong.

Pineapple Collage

I received a box of goodies from Oxo a few weeks ago, and inside I found a pineapple slicer. It doesn’t look like much, but the pineapple carving device is a ninja. It hollows out a pineapple like a beast, leaving only the good stuff and slicing it into perfect rings as it goes. I was in awe the first time I used it. Pineapple slicer, where have you been all my life?

Baller

Don’t you just love that t-shirt? As soon as I laid eyes on it, I knew it had to be mine. Baller–that’s funny! I purchased it from Butcher & Baker. They have a great selection of unique food-related clothing.

Market Thermal

New to the Thirty One collection is this lovely Fresh Market Thermal. It’s the perfect bag for my weekend farmer’s market trips. It has a ton of room to store my goods while I make my rounds to the various stands. I also use it as a cooler when I take a road trip or go to the beach.

yogi

Trouble sleeping? That makes two of us. My brain refuses to relax and shut down at night. I toss and turn for several hours before falling asleep. Food is what usually keeps me up at night. I’m constantly processing ideas for new recipes and blog posts. It’s a vicious cycle.

My sleep deprivation was getting to a point where I was about to ask for prescription medication. Just before I made an appointment with my physician, I was walking through my local organic market and came across Yogi Bedtime Tea. “Heck, it can’t hurt to try,” I thought. I didn’t have high hopes, but what the heck.

It works! Not only does it work, but it works fast. I start getting sleepy after drinking half a cup. Miracles do happen!

24 Responses to “Jennie Loves…”

[email protected] & Trinkets — August 7, 2013 at 8:51 am

I love LorAnn’s! The bakery emulsions really do have a deeper, more complex flavor than the extracts. I buy them from my local candy-making specialty shop. It’s awesome.

• Jennie replied August 8th, 2013 at 8:03 am

Once you go emulsion, you don’t go back :)

Anita at Hungry Couple — August 7, 2013 at 9:07 am

I got that OXO pineapple slicer too but haven’t tried it yet. Looks like I need to go out and buy a pineapple. :)

• Jennie replied August 8th, 2013 at 8:02 am

Go get yourself a pineapple. I promise you’ll love it. You’ll be in awe of its powers.

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — August 7, 2013 at 10:32 am

Aw yay! So happy you’re getting some sleep now! And those emulsions look fantastic!

• Jennie replied August 8th, 2013 at 8:01 am

Me too, Kayle. The emulsions rock!

Susan — August 7, 2013 at 3:12 pm

I love yogi teas, I’ll have to give the bedtime one a try!

• Jennie replied August 8th, 2013 at 8:00 am

I’m in love with their bedtime tea. It puts me right to sleep.

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — August 8, 2013 at 12:22 am

Whoa, I’m super intrigued by the bakery emulsions. I didn’t even know they existed! And that shirt is totally badass. I love it!

• Jennie replied August 8th, 2013 at 8:00 am

They’re wonderful, Nancy. They have a deeper flavor than extract. I love them!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — August 8, 2013 at 12:32 am

Those baking emulsions ROCK. Spotted them at the LorAnn’s site a few years ago around Christmastime when I was searching for an oil. So cool about your finding Yogi Bedtime Tea. My brain is like yours…it refuses to “shut up” and let me sleep, LOL! I think about recipes, blog posts, etc., too. (It’s both a blessing and a curse because I get my best ideas during bed tossing time.) LOVE the Baller T-shirt! Thanks for sharing, Jennie!

• Jennie replied August 8th, 2013 at 7:58 am

They have a wonderful deep flavor, and the smell is intoxicating.

shannon — August 8, 2013 at 8:45 am

hahaha YES! that tee shirt is making me fall over laughing. i must, must get that. and baking emulsions? interesting…i wonder, since they are stronger, if you really have to experiment with them to make sure you don’t overdo it? i’m intrigued.

• Jennie replied August 8th, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I’ve played around with them a bit, and here’s what I’ve come up with. One teaspoon of emulsion to one teaspoon of extract. I started out 3/4 to 1 tsp. but wasn’t happy with it. The flavor is more pronounce. I used the coconut in my pina colada granola the other day, and you could really taste it (in a good way). Isn’t that a fun shirt. Buy one and we can match.

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar — August 8, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Oh man! Those bakery emulsions sound awesome!!

• Jennie replied August 8th, 2013 at 3:13 pm

The flavor is so much more complex and bold. I adore them.

Laurie {SimplyScratch} — August 9, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Ohhh how I love that shirt!! Super cool stuff girl!

• Jennie replied August 14th, 2013 at 11:36 am

Thanks, Laurie!

Laura Dembowski — August 10, 2013 at 11:43 am

4 am wake up calls are definitely to be avoided at all costs! I’m also a nail polish addict and I just wrote about my favorite nail polish top and base coat on my blog. I would be lost without it.

• Jennie replied August 14th, 2013 at 11:35 am

Nail polish addicts unite! I so won’t be waking up at 4 am ever again.

Liz — August 10, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I’m going to have to find some emulsions!!! And what a cute T-shirt!

• Jennie replied August 14th, 2013 at 11:34 am

Thanks, Liz. I love the emulsions. I own 4 flavors so far.

Mallory @ Total Noms — August 11, 2013 at 7:55 pm

I am an Essie girl myself but I totally know what you mean about choosing the polish by the name! On my toes right now is Turquoise & Caicos because I thought it was just too clever! :) Gotta try those emulsions, too. -Mal

• Jennie replied August 14th, 2013 at 11:34 am

I need to try Essie. They have so many gorgeous colors. That turquoise sounds dreamy.