Maple Pecan Granola

I’m all about quick, easy meals for breakfast.

My morning meal must comprise of three qualities: 1. It has to be easily accessible, 2. It has to be effortless—I’m talking spoon and dump, and 3. It must be portable. Yes, I’m lazy.

Here’s the story: I’m a hot mess in the morning. I can barely get myself ready, let alone worry about creating a gourmet meal for breakfast. Pancakes and french toast are never going to happen during the work week…ever! It takes all the effort I have just to kick the sheets off and roll out of bed. I’m not kidding, either; I literally pencil roll it out of bed in the morning.

The solution? A grab-and-go breakfast that will keep me full and energized until lunch. This maple pecan granola is just that.

Maple Pecan Granola  www.themessybakerblog.com

This granola is loaded with pecans. Two cups of pecan goodness gets added to this recipe. No skimping allowed! Nuts=toasted deliciousness. It’s a fact.

Maple Pecan Granola | www.themessybakerblog.com-7903

Just a friendly warning: you’re going to crave this granola. It will start off as breakfast, but then it will makes it’s way into your lunch. When that’s not enough, you’ll grab a handful for a pre-workout snack. Then you’ll start eating it for dinner because you’re too lazy to cook and it’s way too hot to turn on the stove.

Granola obsession.

Maple Pecan Granola | www.themessybakerblog.com-7890

There is a man in my life with a granola obsession. No, it’s not Squirrel. Guess again.

My grandfather has been plagued with the granola obsession. I make him a different type of granola every time he visits. My grandmother had to buy a special “granola jar” for him to keep his stash fresh and easily accessible.

There’s no hiding his obsession, either. The unscrewing of the lid gives him away every time. He says my grandmother calls him out each time his hand reaches in the jar to grab a fistful. “You in the jar again,” she’ll yell from the patio. Caught again!

Maple Pecan Granola | www.themessybakerblog.com-7882

This is a no-fuss, easily adaptable recipe. That means, if you like walnuts–add ’em. If you like dried fruit–throw it in.

I like the simplicity that is this granola. Oats, shredded coconut, pecans, maple syrup, brown sugar, coconut oil, and vanilla extract. That’s it.

Maple Pecan Granola | www.themessybakerblog.com-7888

The pecans are the star of the show here. They toast up perfectly, flavoring the rest of the ingredients with their toasted, nutty oils. This has become my favorite granola. I’ve already made it close to a dozen times, tweaking each batch until it was perfect.

Nothing but the best for my readers.

Maple Pecan Granola | www.themessybakerblog.com-7903

Eat it by the fistful straight out of the glass jar, sprinkle it on some muffin batter, swirl it into yogurt, pour some milk over it, or eat it with fruit. Either way, you’re going to love it.

Maple Pecan Granola | www.themessybakerblog.com-7885

The best part… It’s healthy!

Maple Pecan Granola

A simple and flavorful granola recipe loaded with toasted pecans. Great for a grab-and-go breakfast or healthy snacking.

Yield: 6 cups

• 2 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 2 cups pecans, roughly chopped
  • 1 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 1/3 cup grade A maple syrup (the real stuff)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the oats, pecans, coconut, salt, and brown sugar. Give it a quick stir with a rubber spatula to combine.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Pour the mixture over the oats. Using a rubber spatula, fold the oil mixture into the oat mixture until the dry ingredients are equally coated.
  4. Transfer the mixture to the parchment-lined baking sheet, making sure to spread the mixture evenly onto the sheet.
  5. Bake, stirring every 10 minutes, for 25-30 minutes, or until the mixture is golden brown. Cool completely on the baking sheet before transferring to an airtight container. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
All images and text ©.

38 Responses to “Maple Pecan Granola”

Brianne @ Cupcakes & Kale Chips — July 26, 2013 at 7:48 am

I am the worst with granola. I make a batch and I eat it constantly. It lasts, like, 2 days.

kita — July 26, 2013 at 8:34 am

I go gaga over granola. (ok, that sentence was too cute even for me). But yeah, I could much on fresh granola all day every day. ><

Laura Dembowski — July 26, 2013 at 8:42 am

I am granola obsessed lately! The quinoa granola on my blog is my fave – I have to stop myself from eating the whole bag. This looks delish!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — July 26, 2013 at 10:05 am

LOOOOVE granola!!!! It’s so perfect!

Julia — July 26, 2013 at 10:26 am

Accessible and effortless breakfast is the way to go in my house too! The maple/pecan combination sounds amazing – I’d love to make a huge batch of this so that I have a delicious breakfast to wake up to!

Susan — July 26, 2013 at 2:39 pm

You can’t keep homemade granola near me. As soon as it is out of the oven I’m grabbing it by fistfuls. I don’t even care how hot it is!

[email protected] & Trinkets — July 26, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I’m tickled by the thought of your grandfather’s granola jar. And how your grandmother always catches him!

• Jennie replied July 27th, 2013 at 8:48 am

Those two crack me up. Thanks, Kim!

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — July 26, 2013 at 5:11 pm

Jennie, that’s it. I’m am SO making granola this weekend. I keep seeing all of your incredible granola recipes and every time I do, I say to myself “I am finally going to make it” and of course, I don’t. I have everything at home except coconut oil, which is now on my grocery list. This looks delicious. I’m sure my hand is going to be in that granola jar non-stop, just like your grandpa :)

• Jennie replied July 27th, 2013 at 8:47 am

Nancy, I’ve made this recipe with canola and veggie oil, too. Feel free to use whichever one you have on hand. Coconut oil just enhances the flavor a bit and makes it a little healthier. Let me know how you like it. I know you’ll love it. Thanks!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — July 27, 2013 at 12:46 am

Homemade granola is the best!!

• Jennie replied July 27th, 2013 at 8:47 am

Nothing compares to homemade granola. Thanks, Steph!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — July 27, 2013 at 10:27 am

I love homemade granola! Need to make a new batch and this maple pecan version sounds just perfect!

Joy @ Baking-Joy — July 28, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Love homemade granola, is one of my favourite breakfasts! Will definitely be giving this a go, I could eat pecan nuts for breakfast, lunch and dinner :-)

Laura — July 28, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Walnuts in this sound delicious too! Can’t wait to play with this recipe :)

• Jennie replied August 8th, 2013 at 8:35 am

Laura, walnuts would be delicious, too. Yum!

[email protected] — July 29, 2013 at 8:20 am

I could just eat handfuls and handfuls of this before it even met my cereal bowl.

• Jennie replied August 8th, 2013 at 8:35 am

Half the time it never makes it to a bowl. I just eat it by the fistful.

Ana Zahler at Cooking for Myself — July 29, 2013 at 4:38 pm

You are not lazy. You are practical.
    Years ago, when I was vegetarian, the granola shake was a regular drink.
    It was prepare with soy milk, soy ice cream, granola and honey.
    Other uses for the granola was in bread, mixed with fruits and sprinkle the soy ice cream. Just eat it like a snack. Granola is always good.

• Jennie replied August 8th, 2013 at 8:36 am

Granola is always good, indeed. Thank you!

mjskit — July 30, 2013 at 10:51 pm

There is not a thing wrong with a granola obsession! I have one myself. Love your granola, but I love anything with “pecan” and “maple”. Thanks for sharing!

• Jennie replied August 8th, 2013 at 8:30 am

I eat granola every single day. I love the stuff. Thanks, MJ!

ashley - baker by nature — July 31, 2013 at 9:24 pm

I loooooove granola, and now I’m really craving a batch of this maple-pecan version!

• Jennie replied August 8th, 2013 at 8:26 am

Thanks, Ashley. I’ve made this granola just about every week. Everyone loves it.

Roslyn — August 6, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Thanks for making the granola for me. I had to make more of it tonight so that my daughter and husband would have some tomorrow! And thanks for recommending the gluten free option for my daughter.

• Jennie replied August 8th, 2013 at 8:03 am

Thank you for the lovely comment, Roslyn. I”m happy to hear your family enjoyed the granola.

Meghan — August 10, 2013 at 10:22 am

I don’t think this would even last a day with me! I love the stuff and this combination sounds perfect!

• Jennie replied August 14th, 2013 at 11:35 am

It doesn’t last too long in my house, Meghan. I snack on it every chance I get. Thanks!

Tara — August 11, 2013 at 9:08 pm

I have been wanting to make granola but didn’t have a recipe, I am so making this!! Printing off the recipe now!!

• Jennie replied August 14th, 2013 at 11:33 am

Woo hoo! You’re going to love it Tara. Let me know what you think.

Melanie @ Just Some Salt and Pepper — August 12, 2013 at 11:13 am

I’ve never made my own granola, but this sounds too good to pass up. Your pictures make me wish I could reach into the computer screen to scoop up a fistful myself!

• Jennie replied August 14th, 2013 at 11:31 am

Thank you for the lovely comments, Melanie. Homemade granola is so easy to make. Plus, you get a ton more granola for a fraction of the cost.

Shobelyn Dayrit — August 12, 2013 at 6:57 pm

gonna try this.

• Jennie replied August 14th, 2013 at 11:29 am

You’re going to love this granola, Shobelyn. Let me know what you think.

Meagan — October 31, 2015 at 11:03 am

I’ve been trying to find a yummy granola recipe and this sounds like I’ve found it.

Question though…is this granola crunchy? I know this might be a dumb question but I’m not much of a cook and I prefer crunchy granola over chewy granola so I was just wondering if this one is a crunchy one.

Thanks so much xo

• Jennie replied November 3rd, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Hi Meagan! Thank you so much for stopping by. Oh yes, it’s crunchy. Like you, I prefer crunchy granola. Happy baking!

1. Pingback: Pink Lemonade No Bake Cheesecake Parfaits | Cravings of a Lunatic