Hot & Spicy Giardiniera ~ #SundaySupper

This week the #SundaySupper crew is preserving the summer harvest. That means we’re canning, pickling, and jamming our favorite summer produce. I decided to make a Hot & Spicy Giardiniera mix. You won’t believe how easy it is to make. Oh, it’s way better than the jarred brands in the store.

Hot & Spicy Giardiniera | -7780

I love summer. Really, I do. Yes, it’s dog-breath hot outside (how’d you like that for imagery), but you can’t beat all of the fresh produce that grows in the hot summer sun. Peaches. Big, ripe, juicy peaches. There’s nothing like biting into a peach fresh off the tree and licking the juice that trickles down your wrists and onto your arms. Then there are the tomatoes. I look forward to those massive red orbs that glow bright red when the sun hits the vines just right in my garden. Homemade marinara, you never tasted so good! Let’s not forget about the zucchini. They’ve practically taken over my garden with their enormous, elephant-ear like leaves. So many zucchini. Fresh juicy melons, cucumbers right off the trellis, pink radishes, any array of fancy beans, and the list trails on.

Canning is now considered retro, part of the good ol’ past. It’s unfortunate, really. I don’t think people realize how easy canning can be. Some shy away from the process because it’s intimidating and daunting. The word “botulism” comes to mind. As long as you clean you sterilize your jars and use new seals each time you can, you’re good to go. Sterilize, fill, boil, wait until you hear the ubiquitous pop of the seal. It’s that simple. No, canning doesn’t require any fancy equipment: jars, lids, seals, dish towel, tongs, and a big pot are all you need. If you want an easy introduction on canning, read my peach butter post.

If canning still gives you anxiety, you can always resort to the refrigerator method. This hot & spicy giardiniera doesn’t require old-fashioned canning. All you have to do is chop the veggies, heat the brine, fill the jar, and refrigerate. Viola!

Hot & Spicy Giardiniera | -7776

Whatever you do, don’t be like me. Don’t lean over the pot as you’re stirring the brine and take a big ol’ whiff. Don’t do it! That vinegary brine took my breath away. I gagged and chocked and my eyes teared up. What possessed me to do that, I’ll never know. Big dummy!

Hot & Spicy Giardiniera | -7781

I started off by making a slightly sweet and salty brine by heating vinegar, water, salt, and sugar. I tossed in a heaping teaspoon of red pepper flakes to give it that warm background heat and added some jalapenos and Serrano chiles to pack a burst of heat in the foreground.

Spicy, sweet heat makes this giardiniera unlike any other you’ll find in the store.

Like me, you’re going to want to pile it high on a cold cut, layer it on a salad, or spoon into your mouth directly from the jar.

Hot & Spicy Giardiniera | -7783

Check out the other summer harvest recipes:

Cool Condiments:

Chow Chow Relish from Magnolia Days
Homemade Hot Dog Relish from Juanita’s Cocina

Fabulous Fruits:

Apricot Ginger Jam from Happy Baking Days
Banana Jam from Killer Bunnies, Inc
Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream from Gotta Get Baked
Blueberry Lemon Basil Jam from Daily Dish Recipes
Candied Watermelon Rind fromWhat Smells So Good?
Fig and Strawberry Jam from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner

Vivacious Vegetables:

Corn Cob Jelly from Blueberries and Blessings
Deep South Dilly Beans from Eat, Move, Shine
Fermented (Sour) Pickles from Growing Up Gabel
Fire Roasted Salsa fromPeanut Butter and Peppers
Hot and Spicy Giardiniera from The Messy Baker
Hot Italian Giardiniera from Healthy. Delicious.
Jalapeños en Escabeche (Pickled Jalapeños) fromLa Cocina de Leslie
Oi Kimchi (Korean Cucumber Kimchi) from kimchi MOM
Refrigerator Dill Pickles from Country Girl in the Village
Spicy Sweet Tomato Chutney fromFood Lust People Love
Traditional Escabeche (Pickle) fromBasic N Delicious

Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.

Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here → Sunday Supper Movement.

Hot & Spicy Giardiniera
  • Veggies
  • 1/2 cup diced red pepper
  • 2 stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices
  • 4 radishes, sliced
  • 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
  • 1 1/2 cups cauliflower florets, cut into small pieces
  1. In a medium saucepan, add vinegar, water, sugar, salt, and red pepper flakes. Bring the mixture to boil. Take the mixture off of the heat and add the jalapeño and Serrano slices. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
  2. While your mixture is cooling cut up all of your veggies. Add the veggies to a bowl and mix to combine. Fill a 1.5 liter glass clip top jar or mason jar half way with the veggie mixture. Pour half of the warm brine over the veggies. Add the remaining veggies and top with the remaining brine.
  3. Place in the refrigerator. Allow the mixture to pickle for at least 48 hours before serving. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.

Share this post:Pin on Pinterest2kShare on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUpon0Share on Yummly0

58 Responses to “Hot & Spicy Giardiniera ~ #SundaySupper”

Renee — July 14, 2013 at 7:05 am

Gorgeous giardiniera! Pinned. And bookmarked.

• Jennie replied July 14th, 2013 at 9:44 am

Thanks, Renee!

Hezzi-D — July 14, 2013 at 8:10 am

This looks lovely! Love all the vegetables and colors. i’ve leaned over the stove when making a vinegar brine before and WOW! Not something I want to repeat :)

• Jennie replied July 14th, 2013 at 9:45 am

Heck no. It burned the hair right out of my nostrils. Thanks, Hezzi!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — July 14, 2013 at 8:48 am

This is one of my favorite, favorite snacks. As a kid I used to beg my mom to buy the jars of it. I’m going to make this today. I don’t have cauliflower, so I will add a pinch more celery or carrots. Thank you for sharing, I can’t wait to make this today!

• Jennie replied July 14th, 2013 at 9:46 am

Jen, you’re going to love this. I’ve been nibbling on it daily. The hardest part is waiting a full 48 hours before eating it. Let me know how you like it.

Jen @JuanitasCocina — July 14, 2013 at 10:16 am

See! I did it too! That vinegar is nassssty!

But this is beautiful!

• Jennie replied July 14th, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Thanks, Jen! I nearly passed out.

Lauren @ Healthy Delicious — July 14, 2013 at 10:58 am

GORGEOUS!! I love that you added radishes, too.

• Jennie replied July 14th, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Thanks, Lauren. I had radishes in the fridge, so I figured what the heck.

Shannon @VillageGirlBlog — July 14, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Great recipe! I love that you added radishes. I had never thought to add them and I love radishes. What was I thinking lol. Thanks for sharing this!

• Jennie replied July 14th, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Thanks, Shannon. The radishes add a sharp bite to the mixture that I just adore.

Stacy — July 14, 2013 at 12:06 pm

I think we’ve all done the sniffing the vinegar thing. Did it just yesterday, in fact, pickling baby beets. And I know better. Why?!

That giardiniera looks beautiful with all its different colors. I think I’d love a big spoonful myself, if you’d just move over. :)

• Jennie replied July 14th, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Ha, ha. Hmm, where do you live again? All the way across the deep blue sea. Heck, I’d love to visit. Do you think the airlines would let me sneak some of this on? Thanks, Stacy.

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — July 14, 2013 at 12:45 pm

I have been thinking about canning some veggies too recently. This giardiniera sounds great!

Sarah Reid, RHNC (@jo_jo_ba) — July 14, 2013 at 1:34 pm

We have 3 huge jars of this in our cantina from my stepdad’s mom (who died 5 years ago!) for some reason nobody eats it at home but we LOVE it dining out!

Kate | Food Babbles — July 14, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Oh my goodness, I could see myself prone to sniffing the briney steam :) Guess you’ve talked me out of it. I loooove giardiniera and just made my own for the first time too! Although I didn’t can because as you mentions “some people” are a little nervous when it comes to the canning process and it certainly seems intimidating. I thought there were lifters and wire racks and a special pot involved?!? I’m headed right over to read your peach butter post just as soon as my fingers are done typing. Lovely recipe!

• Jennie replied July 14th, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Thanks, Kate. Canning doesn’t require all of that fancy stuff. I just used what I had on hand, and it worked out perfect. Yes, don’t sniff the brine :)

Diana @EatMoveShine — July 14, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Totally agree on boiling vinegar! When I was working on the Drizzles, I had my fair share of eye-burn, and then some… yuck! Great recipe!!!

• Jennie replied July 15th, 2013 at 6:49 pm

It’s the worst, Diana. My nose still burns ;) Thanks!

CCU — July 14, 2013 at 5:43 pm

All those summery colours and flavours it is literally like bottled summer – love it :)

• Jennie replied July 15th, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Thanks, Uru.

Terra — July 14, 2013 at 11:27 pm

I love pickled veggies! In Tucson, they always serve pickled veggies with some of the Mexican dishes….and I loved that! Your recipe looks awesome, Hugs, Terra

• Jennie replied July 15th, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Thanks, Terra. I’m addicted.

Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere — July 15, 2013 at 6:48 am

I’ve never had giardiniera, but the combo sounds fantastic! I agree with you, it’s a shame people have gotten away from canning. It is a process, but after you get it down, it’s really nothing to be scared of.

• Jennie replied July 15th, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Sarah, it’s really easy once you get the hang of it. I love canning. It’s methodical and stress-free.

Julia — July 15, 2013 at 10:27 am

This is brilliant, my dear! I love the idea of pickling food and still have never tried it. There’s all sorts of probiotics in there and I hear that fermenting foods actually enhances the health benefits. Plus they’re delicious! I’m definitely going to try out your recipe and get my pickle on ;)

• Jennie replied July 15th, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Julia, it’s so easy. Just don’t take a huge whiff of the brine. That’s a big no-no. I didn’t know about the probiotics part–even better! Thanks.

amy @ fearless homemaker — July 15, 2013 at 11:37 am

I looove giardiniera on sandwiches, but have never thought to make it myself. Yours looks SO good – I need to give it a try!

• Jennie replied July 15th, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Amy, it’s so stinkin’ easy–I promise! You’ll love it, too. Thanks!

Katy — July 15, 2013 at 3:52 pm

I didn’t know what giardiniera , but already I can think of so many things I would have it with – thank you!

• Jennie replied July 15th, 2013 at 6:45 pm

It’s a must try, Katy. Thanks!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — July 16, 2013 at 10:04 am

I love spicy giardiniera! The summer is my favorite time of year to stock up on homemade marinara for the rest of the year. Love it!

• Jennie replied July 16th, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I love making and preserving veggies. Thanks!

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — July 17, 2013 at 5:43 pm

In the fifth grade, we were reading short informative stories for English class and there was one article about how a couple died of botulism after eating a banged up can of potato soup that they didn’t warm up properly. Ever since then, I’ve been paranoid about canned foods and canning so you totally hit the nail on the head here about why I’m intimidated with preserving food. I’ll just have to use your fridge method so that I can enjoy this giardiniera without fear of death <– Yes, I'm super melodramatic!

shannon — July 19, 2013 at 7:48 am

giardiniera! i’ve never even thought to make this for myself…weird, considering i’m forever trying to take things i purchase at the store and turn them into homemade. this is so pretty…like a perfect summer thing to have on hand. and you did NOT have to warn me about the whiffing of the hot vinegar, girl: i’ve learned that the hard way. :) i love what vinegar adds to food, because it’s magic, but to smell it is to momentarily hate it.

Jill — July 23, 2013 at 2:19 pm

OMG, if you make this, don’t even bother to make anything less than a TRIPLE batch!!! And it does taste amazing on day one!!

• Jennie replied July 23rd, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Jill, I’m so happy you made one of my recipes, and it makes me even happier that you liked it so much. My grandmother literally ate the entire jar. I didn’t realize how easy it was to make this at home until I made it. Thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment. I love feedback!

22 — June 6, 2014 at 1:22 pm

I have learn many about free of charge blogging sites,but I have not explicit idea concerning that, can any one let know me which one namely finest within favor of free blogging?

1. Pingback: Chow Chow Relish Recipe | Magnolia Days

2. Pingback: Fire Grilled Salsa #SundaySupper

3. Pingback: Oi Kimchi (Korean Cucumber Kimchi) #SundaySupper

4. Pingback: Homemade Hot Dog Relish ~ Preserving the Harvest #SundaySupper! | Juanita's Cocina

5. Pingback: Quick Peacharine Chutney — Shockingly Delicious

6. Pingback: Hot Italian Giardiniera for #SundaySupper | Healthy. Delicious.

7. Pingback: Fermented Sour Pickles Recipe #SundaySupper - Growing Up Gabel

8. Pingback: 27 Canning and Preserving Recipes for #SundaySupper - In The Kitchen With KP : In The Kitchen With KP

9. Pingback: Apricot Ginger Jam for #SundaySupper | Happy Baking Days

10. Pingback: Preserve the Harvest #SundaySupper — Family Foodie

11. Pingback: Blueberry Lemon Basil Jam Recipe | Daily Dish Recipes

12. Pingback: Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream (No Machine) for a Preserve the Harvest #SundaySupper | gotta get baked

13. Pingback: Vegan Banana Jam Recipe | Killer Bunnies, Inc

14. Pingback: Traditional Escabeche (Pickle) #SundaySupper | Basic N Delicious

15. Pingback: Mulberry Jam #SundaySupper » Curious Cuisiniere

16. Pingback: Corn Cob Jelly #SundaySupper | Blueberries and Blessings

17. Pingback: Refrigerator Dill Pickles, Small Batch for #SundaySupper | Country Girl in the Village

18. Pingback: Pineapple Upside Down Cake Freezer Jam #SundaySupper