I don’t know about you, but sometimes my eyes are bigger than my stomach. I either pile too much food on my plate or pack my refrigerator to the brim with food. It’s only Squirrel and I, yet I buy enough food to feed a small army. Everybody loves coming to my house because they know there’s always something delicious stored in my fridge.
Sometimes I buy too many bananas. We all do it. They sit on the counter patiently waiting to be eaten, getting riper by the day. I swear that’s why banana bread was invented. Someone couldn’t eat all of there bananas before they turned to brown mush on the counter, so in a bowl they went.
The other day I may have went a little wild at the grocery store and bought one too many containers of strawberries. It’s hard to resist those intoxicatingly sweet berries when the aroma drifts your way as you walk by the neatly stacked containers. In the cart they went.
Some of my berries started getting a little soft before I was able to eat them all. What does one do with soft strawberries? Hmm, make syrup for soda? Yup!
Homemade soda is way better than any soda you’ll find at your local grocery store.
Making soda at home allows me to control the amount of sugar in the recipe.
This recipe is perfect for kids. It’s caffeine free and low in sugar.
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries, hulled
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- Club soda
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add water, strawberries, lemon juice, thyme, and sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and strain through a mesh strainer into a large bowl (preferably one with a spout for easy transfer). Using a spatula, press down on the strawberries to release all of their juices.
- Transfer the strained mixture back to the saucepan and bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until the mixture reduces to about 2 cups of liquid.
- Chill the syrup in the refrigerator until completely cool, about 2 hours.
- Add ice to a glass, pour in desired amount of syrup, and top with club soda. Enjoy!