Blueberry-Coconut Bundt ~ #BundtAMonth

I learned something about myself on Friday. I’m getting old, and I’m no longer hardcore. I don’t stay up late, wake up with hangovers, go clubbing, sky dive, or bungie jump. And you know what? I’m okay with that.

I’m more of a sit-back-and-watch-the-crazies while slowly sipping on a cocktail kind of gal. I realized just how non-hardcore I am when Squirrel and I were at the Limp Bizkit concert on Friday evening. I was standing against the rail on the second tier balcony above the stage so I would have a decent view of the stage and sort of seclude myself from the crowd. Thank goodness I did, because as soon as the show started, the crowd went bonkers. Like, gigantic mosh pit bonkers! I’ve been to several concerts, none of which have been as rowdy and wild as this one. I watched a guy leap over the second floor railing as if he could fly. Well…he couldn’t. He ended up landing on some poor innocent soul on the first floor. Crazy! I would have feared for my life if I wasn’t safely isolated upstairs and away from the crowd of wild monkeys.

I had a great view of the crowd from the second floor. Looking down over the rail, all I could see was a sea of people swaying back and forth like rolling waves, their heads bobbing up and down with the beat of the music. My brother-in-law was brave enough to face the crowd of wild monkeys. Squirrel and I? Not so much. I would have been trampled, kicked, and knocked around like a weightless rag-doll. I would have drowned in the sea of people. But not my brother-in-law. I watched him bump and sway with the crowd. I watched him like a hawk, fearful that he may go down and never resurface. He was a crowd-surfing trooper. I was in awe of his bravery.

I may not be a hardcore, crowd surfing diva, but I’m hardcore in other, less brutal ways. I can garden with the best of them. I’m a hardcore vegetable planter. Does that count? I can mix a cocktail like no other. How about that? Does that count as hardcore?

I know one thing. I’m a hardcore foodie–always have been, always will be. Who needs crowd surfing when you have baking skills?

Blueberry Coconut Bundt | www.themessybakerblog.com-7143

This month’s #BundtaMonth theme is berries, and since blueberries are one of my favorite berries, I decided to bake a blueberry-coconut bundt.

Blueberry Coconut Bundt | www.themessybakerblog.com-7145

This bundt recipe was inspired by this very delicious blueberry muffin recipe I made a few weeks ago from Honey What’s Cooking? The muffins were so good that I had to create something else that combined the flavors of blueberry and coconut.

Blueberry Coconut Bundt | www.themessybakerblog.com-7142

The slightly sweet cake is buttery with a moist, tender crumb. Each bite is bursting with sweet blueberries and flecks of toasted coconut. I added a bit of lemon zest to brighten up the cake and add an extra layer of flavor.

I consider this the perfect breakfast cake. It’s not too sweet and pairs well with a cup of coffee or tea.

Blueberry Coconut Bundt | www.themessybakerblog.com-7151

Enjoy!

Don’t forget to check out the other berrilicious bundts:

We have a berrilicious theme this month for #bundt-a-month. 14 gorgeous cakes using berries in every form will be inspiration enough for you to bake with us this month.

Here ís how you can be a part of Bundt-a-Month:
• Simple rule: Use your favorite berries or a combination of two and bake us a Bundt for May
• Post it before May 31, 2013
• Use the #BundtaMonth hashtag in your title. (For ex: title could read #BundtaMonth: Cherry Bundt)
• Add your entry to the Linky tool below
• Link back to our announcement posts

Even more bundt fun! Follow Bundt-a-Month on Facebook where we feature all our gorgeous bundt cakes. Or head over to our Pinterest board for inspiration and choose from hundreds of Bundt cake recipes.

Blueberry-Coconut Bundt

• 1 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup toasted coconut
  • 1 stick unsalted butter
  • 3/4 cup sugar (I used Zulka)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp. lemon zest
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 1/2 cups blueberries (do not thaw if using frozen)
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds
  • 1/4 cup coconut
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a bundt pan.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, white whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and toasted coconut. Set aside.
  3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until fluffy and pale in color, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, incorporating well after each addition. Add vanilla and lemon zest; beat to combine.
  4. Scrape down the bowl. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture in 3 batches, alternating and ending with the buttermilk. Scrape down the bowl and give it one more whisk.
  5. Fold in the blueberries.
  6. Add the sliced almonds and 1/4 cup of coconut flakes to the bottom of the bundt pan. Transfer the batter to the bundt, directly over the almond/coconut mixture. Smooth the batter with a rubber spatula.
  7. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 30 minutes; transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely. Slice and eat.

34 Responses to “Blueberry-Coconut Bundt ~ #BundtAMonth”

Renee — May 8, 2013 at 7:18 am

Add me to the “getting older and not hardcore” club too. Gone are those late nights and such. Very nice bundt too. I like the coconut and blueberry combination. I agree it would be a nice one to have for breakfast too.

ashley - baker by nature — May 8, 2013 at 7:27 am

Blueberry and coconut just sound dreamy together! And anything in a bundt pan seems to end up being my best friend.

[email protected] & Trinkets — May 8, 2013 at 7:35 am

“Who needs crowd surfing when you have baking skills?” <- New life motto. Although I would totally crowd surf to get me a slice of this delicious cake!

Anita at Hungry Couple — May 8, 2013 at 7:49 am

Crowd surfing is fleeting. Baking is forever! :) I love, love, love blueberry cakes!

Julia — May 8, 2013 at 9:54 am

I could SO use a bundt month! Love your coconut and blueberry combo! P.S. You’re not getting old!

Faith @ Pixie Dust Kitchen — May 8, 2013 at 11:29 am

I’m 20 and I’m not hardcore- I discovered that the one time I went clubbing and started crying on the dance floor! (I do like hardcore music though. I just stand in front of the mosh pit so I can see the stage.) I do love this blueberry bundt though! It sounds fantastic and not something to cry over, unlike clubbing.

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — May 8, 2013 at 11:48 am

I’m old too-except for I don’t think I’ve ever been that crazy, fun person lol

The Ninja Baker — May 8, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Glad you made it safely from the concert back to the kitchen, Jennie! The world needs your scrumptidelicious Bundt cakes with whole wheat flour, coconut, blueberries and all the other goodies you packed in =) Your recipe is a keeper, Jennie!

Hezzi-D — May 8, 2013 at 4:42 pm

I don’t know that I’ve ever had blueberries and coconut together but it sounds wonderful! Love the pretty almonds on top too!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen — May 8, 2013 at 5:18 pm

This recipe is amazing Jennie, I never paired blueberries with coconut, but it sounds so darn good! And I love that you left it plain with those crunchy almonds. Concerts here are quite wild, and I completely understand you!

veronica gantley — May 8, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I adore coconut and cant wait to try this. I love the almonds on the top. It looked so inviting with your tease on facebook.

Kate | Food Babbles — May 8, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Ha! Loved this post! I am SO not hardcore anymore at all and I’m also completely fine with not being hardcore in those ways anymore. And you’re totally a hardcore baker for sure! This cake is awesome!! I loooove the ring of almonds on top and I adore blueberries and coconut together so this is pure perfection. Lovely!

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom — May 9, 2013 at 1:26 am

Getting older ain’t so bad. Embrace it. . as it seems you are doing, Jennie! Hey, gardening, vegetable planting and mixing cocktails sounds pretty rad to me! :) Love the combination of blueberries and coconut + lemon zest! Awesome! do you think coconut milk would work? I have a few cans in my pantry.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — May 9, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Oh, now this looks super yummy, Jennie! I could SO go for a big slice for breakfast (and lunch, and dinner)!

[email protected] — May 9, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Love the blueberry coconut combination! Great idea to add a bit of lemon zest!

Kelly Senyei | Just a Taste — May 9, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Love the added crunch from the almonds on top! Yum!

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — May 9, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Mmm…great combo of flavours and textures in there, Jen. As much as I love fancy layer cakes, there’s just something so homey and comforting about having a simple, every day cake like this in my house. And being hard core is totally overrated. I’m only 32 but there’s no where I’d rather be than in my pyjamas at home. If that makes me lame, then I revel in being lame! I’d take your cocktails, gardening and baking over frenetic, substance-fueled moshing anyday!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — May 9, 2013 at 7:22 pm

“sit back and watch the crazies” – I’m the exact same way! This cake looks wonderful – moist and tender. Perfect. I love blueberry cakes so much and the addition of coconut puts this over the top!

Laura Dembowski — May 9, 2013 at 9:10 pm

This bundt looks awesome! I can’t stop eating blueberries lately and a cake with them sounds awesome. I am such a boring old lady at 23. I always avoid general admission concerts – they freak me out so much. I am a huge Limp Bizkit fan though. That brings me back to watching MTV as a 10 year old and singing very innapropriate songs. I went to an event the other night didn’t drink a thing and went home at 9 and laid on the sofa the whole next day

Holly — May 9, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I agree, this is a lovely breakfast cake! And I had to laugh, I too realized I had entered “the age of the old” (or at least that I was no longer young) at a concert a few years ago. Funny how that sort of event makes us think of our changing stages of life.

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — May 12, 2013 at 12:22 am

My idea of the perfect Friday night these days is take out or Chipotle, one glass of wine, and Netflix, lol. The thought of going out these days just sounds so unappealing! I would much rather be baking delicious things like this cake!!

Yvonne @ bitter baker — May 13, 2013 at 9:30 am

That looks like a perfect bundt! Normally I try to avoid them.. I guess because I’ve had too many dry ones.. But this one looks moist and yummy!

kale — May 13, 2013 at 1:11 pm

oh yes, I am getting old and I am OKAY with it! (and cocktail mixing skills SO totally counts as hardcore!) bring on the future and may it be filled with delicious bundt cakes! :)

Laura — May 13, 2013 at 11:30 pm

I have never had coconut and blueberries together before, but now I am totally intrigued and woud like to!

Rachel @ Bakerita — May 14, 2013 at 12:29 am

This sounds amazing! I love how easy bundts are, and they’re always pretty! This one sounds delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

shannon @ a periodic table — May 14, 2013 at 7:28 am

ME TOO: i much prefer a good bedtime book and some puzzles with the wee one to crowdsurfing and bungie jumping, for sure. Also, i like cake. and i’m starting to feel my annual obsession with blueberries kick up, so this? I’m in.

Sandra — May 14, 2013 at 11:03 am

Yes ma’am you do have skills, this looks amazing!

Ruby @ The Ruby Red Apron — May 14, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Blueberry and coconut paired together… MMMmmm what a perfect match! I’d rather have a slice of this and read a book instead of going crowd-surfing!

[email protected] — May 22, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Your entry looks great Jennie! I like the toasted almonds on top.

1. Pingback: Orange Blueberry Yogurt Bundt Cake Recipe | Magnolia Days

2. Pingback: Blueberry Buttermilk Cake -#BundtaMonth — Cake Duchess

3. Pingback: Lemon Blueberry Yogurt Bundt Cake #BundtAMonth : In The Kitchen With KP

4. Pingback: #BundtaMonth: Lemon Mint Rhubarb Breakfast Bundt Cake with Blueberries | The Spiced Life

5. Pingback: #bundtamonth: Strawberry Rosemary Buttermilk Bundt Cake | Sukarah سُكَّرَه