Veggie Loaded Fried Quinoa

This Veggie Loaded Fried Quinoa is packed to the brim with fresh veggies. This dish is naturally gluten-free and comes together quickly for an easy weeknight meal.

Veggie Loaded Fried Quinoa | www.themessybakerblog.com-6795

Yup, I’m in yet another cooking club. I can’t help myself. I’m out of control, I know! I just love getting together with other like-minded foodies and have a grand old time surrounded by good food and lively conversation. I’ve made so many new friends and met a ton of talented people during these monthly cooking clubs, that it’s hard to say no.

So, when my dear friend and brilliant website designer Kita from Pass the Sushi invited me to join her #PasstheCookbookClub, well, I couldn’t say no. As soon as Kita explained the premise of her club, I was sold. Kita’s club encourages us to dust off our cookbooks and put them to use. Each month Kita chooses a few recipes from a new cookbook. We each choose a recipe and get to cookin’. With the internet, blogs, and Pinterest, I’ve kind of forgotten about the stacks of shiny cookbooks lining the shelves of my, well, everything. Here’s the thing, I have cookbooks everywhere. On tables, in cabinets, on shelves, and stacked on my kitchen table. Yeah, I have a problem. As if I didn’t have enough cookbooks already, I went to the library the other day and grabbed a few more. Help! You can see why I was eager to join Kita on her journey to utilize our cookbooks.

This month Kita chose Guy Fieri’s book Guy Fieri Food:  Cookin’ It, Livin’ It, Lovin’ It. I chose to make the fried quinoa. I think I’ve mentioned it before, but I’m not good a cooking rice or any other grain. Weird, I know, but so true. Since I need the practice, I decided to take on quinoa. I really like the fact that Guy put a spin on plain old quinoa and spiced it up a bit. Very clever, Guy!

Veggie Loaded Fried Quinoa | www.themessybakerblog.com-6787

I loaded this quinoa to the brim with fresh veggies. I went on veggie overload and threw in some fresh snow peas, carrots, red pepper, onions, ginger, peas, and green onions. The result is crazy good, or, as Guy would say, Money!

Veggie Loaded Fried Quinoa | www.themessybakerblog.com-6793

The best part about this Veggie Loaded Fried Quinoa is that it’s ridiculously simple to throw together, making it the perfect weeknight meal. Quinoa is surprisingly very filling. I’m diggin’ it!

Veggie Loaded Fried Quinoa

Yield: 4-6 servings

• 3/4 cup quinoa
  • 1 and 1/2 cups chicken stock (vegetable stock or water)
  • 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
  • 1 cup onion, diced
  • 1/2 cup carrots, diced
  • 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
  • 1 cup snow peas
  • 3/4 cup frozen peas
  • 4 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
  • Salt & pepper
  • Sriracha (optional)

1. Heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the quinoa and toast for 4-5 minutes, stirring often. Add the chicken stock and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook until the quinoa absorbs all of the liquid, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and fluff with a fork. Set aside.
  2. Heat 2 tbs. of canola in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, and red pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the onions are soft and translucent, stirring occasionally. Stir in the garlic and ginger. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the snow peas, and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add the last tablespoon of oil. When the oil is heated through, add the egg. Swirl the egg around with your wooden spoon until cooked through.
  3. Stir in the quinoa and frozen peas, adding a little more oil if necessary. Stir in the soy sauce and salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a side of sriracha.
All images and text ©.

24 Responses to “Veggie Loaded Fried Quinoa”

Laura | Small Wallet, Big Appetite — March 28, 2013 at 6:55 am

I know some bloggers feel that quinoa is a fad but I absolutely love it. It is so filling, easy and good for you what more could you ask for? Oh my toddler loves it, that was what I could ask for and I got it. :) This dish looks fantastic.

Monet — March 28, 2013 at 8:28 am

I adore quinoa, and I love this fried version. A nice update on classic fried rice! Thank you so much for sharing…and for whetting my appetite. I hope you have a beautiful day!

amy @ fearless homemaker — March 28, 2013 at 9:26 am

I love fried rice, but I’ve still never tried fried quinoa – it looks absolutely delicious, so I must try it soon. YUM!

Jen @JuanitasCocina — March 28, 2013 at 9:36 am

Dear quinoa friend, who knew we’d be bonding over healthy stuff? US! Love, the other quinoa friend.

Kim - Liv Life — March 28, 2013 at 9:42 am

Loving your fresh peas in the dish! That’s one veggie I can count on the kids eating and as they are beginning to accept my quinoa obsession this is a winner!

Isabelle @ Crumb — March 28, 2013 at 10:07 am

I totally shouldn’t have opened this post, because it’s still an hour before lunchtime and now I’m starving. :) Your photos are absolutely stunning, and I can just imagine that the dish tasted even better than it looks.

[email protected], pleasure, and health — March 28, 2013 at 10:40 am

i really enjoyed making this dish too. however, I used three colored quinoa and during toasted- i burnt it a little bit :( i love how your quinoa looks so alive!

[email protected] & Trinkets — March 28, 2013 at 10:46 am

I have issues cooking rice, too. But for some reason, I’ve never had a problem with quinoa. And this looks so tasty! I still have that buttload of quinoa in my house… :)

Liz — March 28, 2013 at 11:37 am

Mmmmm…this looks so yummy and perfect for spring! And how could frying quinoa be bad????

Kristen — March 28, 2013 at 11:55 am

Quinoa is one of my favorite “grains,” especially since going gluten free. This Asian version is definitely on that I have to try. I love that Kita gives us three choices and that we can go back and make the others at our leisure.

sally @ sallys baking addiction — March 28, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I simply adore quinoa, but I don’t cook it often enough. This gives me a reason to cook with it as soon as we move. I would LOVE this dish!

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie — March 28, 2013 at 1:37 pm

I like how the pea pods look in your rice versus the sugar snap called for the in the recipe.

Amanda @ The Taste Tester — March 28, 2013 at 2:52 pm

WOW! Your pictures make this looks so freaking incredible. I have some quinoa in my cupboard and will be making this next week :)

CCU — March 28, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Um yum is a little mild ;)

CCU

Anita at Hungry Couple — March 28, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Love it! I have quinoa, I have veggies…I have dinner!

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies — March 28, 2013 at 6:22 pm

This looks beautiful–and delicious too! Quinoa is one of my favorite vegetarian proteins. :)

kita — March 28, 2013 at 8:39 pm

I LOVE all of the extra veggies you put into this. When I try the recipe I will totally be stealing this idea and adding all that I can fit in. Your quinoa looks beautiful and thank you so very much for the kind words at the beginning of the post. >< I blushed! Can't wait to see what you make next month :D

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — March 29, 2013 at 8:02 am

I love using quinoa instead of rice for fried “rice.” the combo of veggies in this is amazing. Good crunch and variety!

shannon @ a periodic table — March 30, 2013 at 8:07 am

oh this looks so good! I love quinoa, and why i’ve never though to fry it up with vegetables is beyond me.
    You and the cooking clubs, Jennie! I don’t know how you do it; i can’t even stick to my own self-imposed schedules, so i’m impressed. :)

Terra — March 31, 2013 at 11:18 pm

What a fun idea, I love quinoa so much more! Hubby would love this recipe too:-) I do like that it is easy, with my schedule, easy is good! Hugs, Terra

Kimberly — April 1, 2013 at 4:23 pm

For those who don’t have luck making fried rice, the trick is to first have the rice at room temperature. The second trick I learned is to gently fold the rice instead of aggressively stirring it so it doesn’t get mushy.

BTW, I cannot wait to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing.

Suzanne — April 2, 2013 at 10:48 am

Your photos of this dish are fabulous! You really caught the beauty of this recipe, love that you added extra veggies, I’m really wanting to make this.

1. Pingback: A New Year | The Pinterest Cooking Challenge