Chocolate Covered Nutella Eggs ~ #SundaySupper

Happy Sunday! This week the lovely Carla of Chocolate Moosey is hosting our Easter/Passover themed #SundaySupper. If you’re looking for a recipe to celebrate with family and friends, we’ve got it covered.

When I think of Easter treats, chocolate instantly enters my thoughts. Whether it be in the form of hollow chocolate bunnies, peanut butter eggs, pastel candy-coated morsels, or those ubiquitous Cadbury eggs, chocolate is definitely a prominent theme during the Easter holiday.

I miss the basket and easter egg hunting days. My mom would dress us up in little sailor outfits (this I don’t miss, so much) and take us to our grandparents house for yummy food and Easter egg hunts. My Mom-mom had the best Easter egg hunts. She would fill all of the brightly colored plastic eggs with the best chocolates and money. We would grab our baskets and run around the yard collecting as many brightly colored eggs as we could, each of us trying to out do the other. I remember shaking the eggs to see if I was lucky enough to get one with money. If they jangled, they were filled with quarters. If you were really lucky, you would shake a few silient eggs. They were the eggs filled with dollar bills– jackpot!

There was one Easter in particular that I remember very well. It was the Easter my brother and I found a very special  gift in each of our baskets. The “Easter Bunny” brought my brother a hollow chocolate molded airplane, and I received a hollow chocolate molded computer equipped with a mouse and keyboard. It was the coolest gift ever, which is probably why I remember that Easter so well. Then there was the time my mom and dad bought my brother and I a real, live white bunny. We named him Thumper, and he lived outside in a bunny castle crafted by my father.

I decided to make chocolate covered Nutella eggs for this week’s #SundaySupper.

Chocolate Covered Nutella Eggs | www.themessybakerblog.com-6726

These eggs are so smooth and creamy inside. They literally melt in your mouth as soon as the chocolate center comes in contact with your tongue. They remind me of a truffle, only buttery.

Chocolate Covered Nutella Eggs | www.themessybakerblog.com-6723

These are a bit tedious to make since the Nutella filling has to stay cold in order to make it easier to handle, but they’re totally worth the work.

Chocolate Covered Nutella Eggs | www.themessybakerblog.com-6728

I topped half of the eggs with festive Easter sprinkles and the other half with toasted hazelnuts. They’re the perfect Easter treat.

Check out the other Easter/Passover recipes:

Easter

Breakfast, Breads, and Buns

Appetizers and Sides

Main Dishes

Dessert

Passover

Dessert

Wine Pairing Recommendations for #SundaySupper Religious Feasts from ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter on Sunday, March 24 to talk all about Easter and Passover recipes! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.

Chocolate Covered Nutella Eggs

• 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 cups bittersweet or dark chocolate chips
  • 1 tbs. shortening
  • 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts, chopped
  • 1/4 cup colorful sprinkles
Instructions
  1. In a large bowl, add nutella, butter, and cream cheese. Using an electric mixer, beat the ingredients together until smooth.
  2. Gradually add the powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
  3. Cover the mixture and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Cover a cookie sheet with wax paper.
  4. Using a 1-inch scoop, scoop the nutella mixture onto the prepared cookie sheet. Place in the freezer for 15 minutes.
  5. Roll the balls in the palm of your hands until smooth. Press gently on the balls to flatten slightly. Place back in the freezer for another 15 minutes.
  6. Shape the balls into eggs. I had to place the cookie sheet back in the freezer twice to allow the balls to firm up in between shaping. When you’re finished shaping the balls, place the cookie sheet back in the freezer for 30 minutes.
  7. While the eggs are firming up, melt the chocolate. In a double boiler, or heat-proof bowl over simmering water (do not allow the bowl to touch the water), add the chocolate and shortening. Melt, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is smooth.
  8. Dip the eggs into the chocolate, one at a time, and flip with a fork to coat. Remove it from the chocolate, allowing the excess chocolate to drip off before placing the egg onto a clean wax-covered cookie sheet. Top with colored sprinkles or toasted chopped hazelnuts. Repeat until all of the eggs are finished. Place the eggs back in the freezer if necessary to firm up between dippings.
  9. Allow the eggs to firm up and chocolate to set before placing in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Share this post:Pin on Pinterest155Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUpon0Share on Yummly0

49 Responses to “Chocolate Covered Nutella Eggs ~ #SundaySupper”

The Ninja Baker — March 24, 2013 at 4:11 am

Nutella in your title made your post a must-read. But your memories of Easter egg hunts and sailor suits are as sweet and wonderful as your recipe, Jennie. Thank you for this beautiful Easter post =)

P.s. Thank you, too, for the tips on producing perfect Chocolate Covered Nutella eggs. I’ll keep the freezer and fork in mind =)

Anita at Hungry Couple — March 24, 2013 at 4:44 am

Whoa! I want to pop a dozen of these into my mouth right now. :) Happy Easter!

Lane @ Supper for a Steal — March 24, 2013 at 7:59 am

Mmm nutella!! I bet these are soo good!

jolene — March 24, 2013 at 8:42 am

looking at these goodies make me salivating… they look so good!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — March 24, 2013 at 9:09 am

Awww Thumper! And you in a lil sailor outfit! Cutenessss!

And OMG it’s like Reese eggs but NUTELLA!

Wendy (The Weekend Gourmet) — March 24, 2013 at 9:16 am

Nutella eggs?!?!? I’ll take a dozen…and since they’re shaped like an egg? I can have them for breakfast. Works for me.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — March 24, 2013 at 9:23 am

Nutella Easter Eggs, yes please! I love this recipe! I want these in my Easter basket!

Jen @JuanitasCocina — March 24, 2013 at 9:53 am

I’m on a diet you mean girl! What are you doing to me???

Renee — March 24, 2013 at 10:04 am

Oh heavens Jennie, I’m drooling here. Nutella with cream cheese and covered in chocolate. Sheer delight!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen — March 24, 2013 at 10:46 am

Your childhood easters were awesome. Your mother should´ve told my mother how to do it…jaja! Nutella eggs, so decadent Jennie!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — March 24, 2013 at 10:51 am

Ooooh, gotta add them to my Easter baskets! Fabulous!!!!

Shannon @VillageGirlBlog — March 24, 2013 at 11:14 am

Yum! I love Nutella. Thanks for sharing!

Cindys Recipes — March 24, 2013 at 11:18 am

Nutella candy sounds too good to be true!

Sarah Reid, RHNC (@jo_jo_ba) — March 24, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Perfect thought to add cream cheese, it would lighten up the super sweet Nutella (and taste like cheesecake :-) )

Katy — March 24, 2013 at 1:30 pm

These are so cute! Perfect for Easter!

Diana @GourmetDrizzles — March 24, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Love your stories of past Easters, and too adorable on Thumper- that lived in the bunny castle! ;-) What a great and fun post… thanks for sharing your lovely recipe too!

Liz — March 24, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Oh, my gosh, do these sound incredible! Melt in your mouth yumminess! And I love your Easter memories, too.

Bea — March 24, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Those look beyond amazing!!!

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — March 24, 2013 at 4:34 pm

These are so cute and look deeeelish! We had pet bunnies when we were little too. Every Easter my Mom would take rabbit poop, bitten carrots, and hay and disperse it throughout the house as if the real life Easter bunny was there and ate and pooped while dropping off baskets. Easter candy is my jam! I love it way more than Halloween!

Family Foodie — March 24, 2013 at 8:35 pm

Oh dear… I remember dressing my older two in matching sailor outfits… their friends come over and see their pics and tweet them out. How we torture our poor children! I love this post and this awesome recipe. Can you believe I still have not tried Nutella?

kale — March 25, 2013 at 1:09 am

a buttery truffle…. yum!!!

Sarah | Curious Cuisiniere — March 25, 2013 at 10:10 am

Nutella and chocolate? These are a must!

Katie — March 25, 2013 at 10:29 am

Chocolate is always on my mind when it comes to Easter as well! But I have to say: your nutella eggs sound sooo much better than store bought chocolate!!!!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — March 25, 2013 at 11:00 am

what in the world! Jennie, I think I’m in love. Nutella & cream cheese are heavenly together. :) They look amazing!

Terra — March 25, 2013 at 8:55 pm

What a fun mix of flavors, love that you added cream cheese with the nutella! Your chocolate covered eggs look delicious:-) Hugs, Terra

Valerie — March 26, 2013 at 3:21 pm

What is it with moms dressing their children up as tiny sailors? (Mine too!) :D
    These Nutella eggs are too cute! I think I’d even pick them over my beloved Russell Stover dark chocolate covered coconut creme eggs!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — March 27, 2013 at 1:41 am

Easter makes me think of loads of chocolate too. These look amazing!! Loved that you filled them with Nutella!

Carla — March 27, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Oh man I can only imagine these are like the peanut butter eggs but a million times better with Nutella! Send me a dozen, ok ;)

1. Pingback: Portuguese Easter Bread | Folar de Pascoa #SundaySupper — Family Foodie

2. Pingback: Alebele - Goan Coconut filled Pancake

3. Pingback: Coconut Cupcakes Recipe for #SundaySupper

4. Pingback: Painted Sugar Cookies | Ruffles & Truffles

5. Pingback: Coconut Cake with Coconut Buttercream Frosting ~ Easter + Passover #SundaySupper! | Juanita's Cocina

6. Pingback: Peanut Rolled Candy Eggs #SundaySupper - Cindy's Recipes and Writings

7. Pingback: Moroccan Haroset for a Passover #SundaySupper | MarocMama

8. Pingback: Easter Brunch Creme Brulee Baked Oatmeal #SundaySupper : In The Kitchen With KP

9. Pingback: Jamaican Easter Spiced Bun #SundaySupper - Lovely Pantry | Lovely Pantry

10. Pingback: Wine Pairing Recommendations for #SundaySupper Religious Feasts - ENOFYLZ Wine Blog

11. Pingback: Flourless Chocolate Torte #SundaySupper - The Girl in the Little Red KitchenThe Girl in the Little Red Kitchen

12. Pingback: Potato and Leek Gratin #SundaySupper | Webicurean

13. Pingback: Not So Deviled Eggs for a #SundaySupper Easter | Country Girl in the Village

14. Pingback: Lemon Glazed Carrots #SundaySupper » Curious Cuisiniere

15. Pingback: Slow Cooker Honey Glazed Ham for #SundaySupper | Blueberries and Blessings

16. Pingback: Asparagus Brie & Ham Crostini | Fast & Easy Easter Holiday Appetizer | Daily Dish Recipes

17. Pingback: Carrot Cake Cheesecake | Chocolate Moosey