Nutella & Toasted Pecan Sweet Rolls
I’m going to apologize in advance. Why? Five words: Nutella & Toasted Pecan Sweet Rolls.
Have you ever been enamored by, obsessed with, or head-over-heels in love with a dessert before? Enter these nutella & toasted pecan sweet rolls. Everything else became a blur as I was shoveling forkful after forkful of sweet dough into my mouth. Ladies & Gentlemen, meet my new obsession.
I’ve been in love with a lot of desserts in my lifetime, but nothing surpasses the decadence of these Nutella & Toasted Pecan Sweet Rolls. The dough gets slathered with a generous helping of chocolatey Nutella, then drizzled with melted butter and sprinkled with toasted pecans before getting rolled up and baked to golden brown perfection.
Be still my beating heart!
Fear of devouring the entire pan myself led me to dealing out sweet rolls at a healthy snacking party. Was I ashamed? A little. What choice did I have? It was either give them away or eat the entire pan myself.
I wasn’t actually planning on making sweet rolls. They were more of a happy accident… A really delicious happy accident. Maybe even life changing. I was originally going to make my grandmother’s recipe for English muffin bread for #twelveloaves when a diligent effort to locate the recipe failed. Let’s just say I’m thankful I keep a large stock of Nutella on hand at all times.
One bite, and that’s it. You’re. In. Love! Just give yourself over to the sweet roll. You can’t fight it; why try?
The sweet mocha glaze gets drizzled on while the rolls are still warm. Oozing its way through the doughy fissures, the glaze creates a caramelized crunch on its journey to the underbelly of the rolls, ensuring each roll is perfectly coated with the gooey glaze and each bite is just as sticky and delicious as the one before it.
Your chin and fingers are coated with mocha glaze, but you don’t care, because licking your fingers at the end just prolongs the sweet moment of pure bliss.
Enjoy one. Enjoy two. Heck, enjoy the entire pan. Or, you know, share the sweet roll love. I’ll leave it up to you to decide.
Nutella & Toasted Pecan Sweet Rolls
Yield: 8 rolls
Total Time: 6 hours 20 minutes
Prep Time: 6 hours
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 package yeast
- 4 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup Nutella, slightly melted (see note)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons strongly brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon half & half
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- In a large pot over medium-low heat, whisk together milk, sugar, and oil. Using a candy thermometer, heat the milk to 120 degrees F. Sprinkle the yeast over the top of the warm milk mixture. Stir in 3 1/2 cups of flour. Take off the heat. Cover the pot with a towel and allow to rest, undisturbed, for 1 hour.
- Add the remaining 1 cup of flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda to the mixture. Stir until combined. Place the lid on the pot and refrigerate until the mixture is completely cool (the dough is easier to handle if it is refrigerated).
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a large baking dish, or two pie plates or round cake pans.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough into a large rectangle, about 24 inches long and 10 inches wide. Drizzle the melted nutella onto the dough. Spread evenly with a rubber spatula. Drizzle the nutella with the melted butter. Sprinkle with brown sugar and toasted pecans.
- Starting at the side furthest from you, roll the dough toward you, until it resembles a log. Pinch to seal. Turn the dough over so the seal faces the work surface. Slice into 2-inch thick rolls and place in the baking dish cut side down.
- Cover the baking dish with a towel and allow to rise for 30 minutes. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or until the rolls are golden brown in color.
- Mocha Icing: In a large bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and salt. Whisk in coffee, half & half, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Remove the rolls from the oven. Allow the rolls to cool for 5 minutes before drizzling on the icing. Serve warm.
- Heat the Nutella for 30 seconds in the microwave to create a spreadable consistency.