Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Banana Muffins

These Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Banana Muffins are guilt-free, ultra moist, and darn tasty.

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Banana Muffins {www.themessybakerblog.com}-6501

It can’t always be cookies and buttercream, right? Maybe in a fairytale land far, far away where high cholesterol and weight gain don’t exist, but this isn’t a fairytale. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some cookies, but even I have limitations. Well, that is, my hips have limitations. If they’d let me, I’d probably snack on cookies all day; however, that’s not the case.

Sometimes I want to snack on something without feeling guilty about it later, so I’ve been experimenting with guilt-free quick breads in the kitchen lately. Breads full of whole grains, yogurt, fruit, and healthy proteins. Breads that will fill me up without leaving me full of eater’s remorse later. I love baking quick breads for the very fact that they involve little to no planning. They don’t require kneading, rising, or waiting, and can usually be whipped up in one bowl.

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Banana Muffins {www.themessybakerblog.com}-6500-2

An challenged us to make a muffin using bananas this week, and I instantly knew that I wanted to make a muffin that combined chocolate, banana, and peanut butter. The epitome of all flavor combos. Last week I came across this recipe for Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Cupcakes by Sally’s Baking Addiction. I instantly fell in love with them and knew I had to make them for #MuffinMonday this week.

I made a few minor changes to make the recipe more muffin-like. I added some dark chocolate cocoa powder, white whole wheat flour, and brown sugar. They’re healthy and delicious all at the same time.

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Banana Muffins {www.themessybakerblog.com}-6502

The muffin is dark and moist and, my favorite part, swirled with melted peanut butter. Guilt-free Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Banana Muffins… Now, that’s my kind of breakfast.

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Banana Muffins

• 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup dark or bittersweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter chips

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line 16 muffin cups with papers.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Whisk in the brown sugar, egg, egg white, greek yogurt, and vanilla extract. Mixture will be slightly lumpy.
  4. Using a rubber spatula, gently stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Fold in the chocolate chips.
  5. Fill the muffin cups 2/3 of the way full with batter. Spoon 1/2 tablespoon of the melted butter on top of the batter. Using a knife or a toothpick, swirl the peanut butter into the batter. Sprinkle with peanut butter chips.
  6. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool for 3 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room-temperature for up to 3 days.
All images and text ©.

19 Responses to “Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Banana Muffins”

CCU — February 25, 2013 at 5:29 am

These look sp moist and bursting with chocolate, just how I like my Mondays :)
    Yum!

Renee — February 25, 2013 at 8:09 am

Now that’s a muffin I could really sink my teeth into! I agree that chocolate, peanut butter, and bananas are a wonderful combo.

[email protected] & Trinkets — February 25, 2013 at 9:37 am

Three of my favorite things all together and guilt free? It’s like Christmas all over again!

Kristina — February 25, 2013 at 10:27 am

Pb, chocolate, AND banana… perfect muffin darling! These look decadent, yum!

Becky @ Olives n Wine — February 25, 2013 at 11:56 am

Chocolate and peanut butter are two of my ALL-TIME favorite flavors! I love that you threw bananas into the mix too :) This look absolutely amazing – I might have to make these for National PB Day on Friday!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — February 25, 2013 at 4:27 pm

AHHH I wanted to make these when I saw them on Sally’s blog and I WANT TO MAKE THEM EVEN MORE NOOOOW ooooooooooh

Jenn and Seth — February 25, 2013 at 5:23 pm

such a delicious combination of flavors!! these look so wonderfully yummy!

Alaiyo Kiasi — February 25, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I’m in love! I adore dark chocolate, and these muffins look so rich and decadent!

Anita at Hungry Couple — February 25, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I’m a sucker for anything that contains peanut butter chips!

Stacy — February 26, 2013 at 12:06 am

I’m not a big sweet eater but I love anything with the dark chocolate/peanut butter combination. I guess it’s the salt in the peanut butter. I’ll bet the addition of bananas makes this perfectly moist inside as well. What a lovely muffin!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — February 26, 2013 at 8:36 am

Glad you made my recipe! They look wonderful. My favorite dessert cupcake.

Stefanie @ Sarcastic Cooking — February 26, 2013 at 10:49 am

I love the swirly top! I happen to have some quickly ripening bananas right now!!! Maybe I will freeze them and try this over the weekend!

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — February 26, 2013 at 11:49 am

This is the PERFECT combination! It’s so funny cause I just decided on making this flavour combo for our #SS event this weekend. Great minds think alike ;) And I love your teacup, it’s adorbs!

Emily @ Life on Food — February 26, 2013 at 2:22 pm

My three favorite things. Yes please!

Ruby @ The Ruby Red Apron — February 26, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Love the combination in these muffins! I love the peanut butter chips on top!

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — February 28, 2013 at 10:21 am

Whoa. They look so moist! I love this flavor combination. I just wish I weren’t allergic to bananas. Boooo! :(

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts — February 28, 2013 at 1:22 pm

I love muffins, but guilt free muffins? Hand over the tray!

Lisa { Sweet 2 eat Baking} — March 1, 2013 at 10:37 am

Wow, these look soooooooo (x infitinity) good. Pinned and added to my ‘to make & bake’ list.

Charlie - Baking At Home — April 27, 2013 at 7:57 pm

This could possibly the best dessert ever…oh heck…I’ll have it for breakfast too!