Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream

This Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream is thick, creamy, and supremely decadent. Chocolate ice cream gets swirled with peanut butter sauce and loaded with a generous helping of peanut butter cups.

We have a birthday in the house. #SundaySupper turns one today! I have my party hat and party horn ready. Let’s get this party started.

Happy birthday, #SundaySupper! *Blows party horn*

A year ago today, Isabel of Family Foodie started a mission to bring back Sunday supper around the family table. Isabel’s vision quickly swept the internet, gaining recognition and making an impact amongst the blogging community. Each week, like-minded foodies began gathering around her virtual family table to support her mission and join her on her journey to bring families together.

Today we’re celebrating 52 weeks of recipes that have inspired families to gather around the table and make memories. We’re representing the gathering of family, friends, and food by making a dish from one of our fellow #SundaySupper members.

A birthday isn’t complete without ice cream, right? Exactly! I knew you’d have my back on this one.

Back in October, Kim from Cravings of a Lunatic made this very decadent chocolate fudge brownie ice cream that had me drooling all over my keyboard. I knew I had to make it as soon as I saw that scoop of ice cream loaded with chunks of brownies and fudge. Kim is amazing…for a lunatic. Wink! The girl crafts up some delicious grub. Her lasagna soup–amazeballs! I know because I made it and ate it all. Yup, consumed the entire pot. It was so good. Strings-of-cheese-curling-over-my-lower-lip good.

While I kept the base of the ice cream the same, I decided to change up the add-ins. Since I have a ton of candy left over from Christmas, I decided replace the brownie and fudge chunks with a peanut butter sauce swirl and chopped peanut butter cups. Holy mother of all things chilly, is this ice cream insanely delicious. It’s everything ice cream should be- creamy, decadent, smooth, and rich.

This ice cream is ridiculously easy to make. The recipe doesn’t call for eggs, which eliminates cooking, tempering, and overnight cooling. This method is as close to instant ice cream gratification as you’re going to get, which means less wait time before stuffing ice cream into your face pronto!

Welp, gotta go, because this ice cream is calling my name from the freezer. Enjoy!

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream

Thick chocolate custard swirled with peanut butter sauce and loaded with peanut butter cups.

Yield: 1.5 quarts

• 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 cup half and half
  • 2 tablespoons milk

Chocolate Ice Cream

1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add cocoa powder, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and milk. Whisk until sugars dissolve. Add heavy cream and vanilla and whisk until thick and fluffy, about 3 minutes. You'll know it's done when the mixture is the consistency of pudding.
  2. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for an hour.
  3. Remove from the refrigerator and transfer the mixture to the bowl of your ice cream maker. Churn for 15 minutes.
  4. Add half of the mixture to a bowl. Top with half of the peanut butter sauce and peanut butter cups. Swirl with a knife. Top with remaining ice cream. Swirl in the remaining peanut butter sauce and peanut butter cups. Cover and place in the freezer until completely frozen, about 4 hours.

Peanut Butter Sauce:

1. In a small bowl, whisk together peanut butter and powdered sugar until combined.
  2.  Add the half and half, milk, and vanilla and whisk until smooth.

Adapted from Cravings of a Lunatic

Share this post:Pin on Pinterest1,444Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on StumbleUpon1Share on Yummly

54 Responses to “Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream”

Stacy — January 13, 2013 at 5:10 am

For a mostly non-sweet eater, I have a couple of weaknesses. One of them is caramel and the other is all things with peanut butter and chocolate. What a fabulous recipe! And you are so right, every birthday party must have ice cream!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen — January 13, 2013 at 8:00 am

I have Kim´s recipe saved too. This looks unbelievably smooth Jennie! It´s so hot here now I might go into the kitchen and make it today. Have a great sunday!

Kim@Treats & Trinkets — January 13, 2013 at 8:15 am

Chocolate and peanut butter and ice cream. All my favorite things combined!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — January 13, 2013 at 9:51 am

Nothing beats peanut butter and chocolate together! Love this ice cream!!

Leslie @ La Cocina de Leslie — January 13, 2013 at 11:51 am

2 scoops for me, please! :)

Renee — January 13, 2013 at 12:21 pm

You did this recipe just for me right? You know my love of peanut butter and chocolate. And I agree that Kim can whip up some scrumptious recipes. How great we have such wonderful bloggers (like you) in the Sunday Supper group.

Tara — January 13, 2013 at 12:42 pm

That looks amazing and you are right Kim comes up with some drool worthy recipes that is for sure!!!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — January 13, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Oooh, these look so creamy and delicious! Who wouldn’t go for PB chocolate ice cream??!

Amanda @ MarocMama — January 13, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Chocolate and peanut butter are one great combination. I really need to make this soon.

Jen @JuanitasCocina — January 13, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Oh my gosh, this would go over like gangbusters in this house!

Kate | Food Babbles — January 13, 2013 at 5:30 pm

WOW!!! That picture of the ice cream in the scoop is breathtaking Jennie! That immediately made my mouth water. Chocolate and peanut butter is probably my absolute favorite flavor combination so this ice cream is really calling to me. Lovely!

Jenn and Seth — January 13, 2013 at 6:48 pm

that ice cream sounds AMAZING!! i’ll take a bowl please!

Liz — January 13, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Kim is the queen of decadent ice creams and this is no exceptions! Beautifully done!

Susan — January 13, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Holy mother of awesome ice cream! I want this now! You’ve made perhaps the perfect ice cream combo! Pinning this!

Kim Bee — January 13, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Oh my gosh I am blushing. Thanks for all that and the amazeballs cuz that just made my day. I love your photos. I love that you did it with peanut butter cups. And I love that you also made my soup before. Makes me ridonkulously happy when folks like my stuff. Thanks for the sweet words. You did save me some ice cream right? Right?

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts — January 13, 2013 at 9:14 pm

Kim knows her ice cream, that is for sure! I am drooling right now over this one again, I love everything about it!

Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom — January 14, 2013 at 3:08 am

this ice cream looks soooooo good! yum! totally want to make this . . I too was drooling when Kim made this!!! great choice!!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress) — January 14, 2013 at 12:40 pm

You just made an already insanely amazing recipe BETTER! AHHH OMG PB AND CHOCOLATE! Pinnninnggggg

Sarah Reid, RHNC (@jo_jo_ba) — January 14, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Love that this has no eggs! Always fret about tempering

steph@stephsbitebybite — January 15, 2013 at 8:04 am

Oh give me a HUGE spoon!

Soni — January 15, 2013 at 8:58 am

You’re right!Every birthday party should have Icecream!And these look like the perfect ones to have :) Love that there are no eggs in this recipe and it looks quite easy :)

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — January 15, 2013 at 11:19 am

Can I have a big bowl of this right now?! Love the phrase “instant ice cream gratification”! :)

Anita at Hungry Couple — January 15, 2013 at 3:26 pm

OMG! As soon as I wipe the drool off my chin, I’m going to put a sign on my skinny jeans that reads ‘abandon all hope!’ :)

kelly @ kellybakes — January 15, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Peanut butter and chocolate is my favorite combo of all time. I sort of wish I hadn’t eaten ALL the Reese’s I got in my stocking so I could have made this. Shucks… I guess I’ll just have to buy another 10 pack… ;)

Carla — January 15, 2013 at 8:54 pm

So glad you brought the ice cream!! Im going to go lick that scoop now.

(btw, I couldn’t help but think “man that’s a good shot with the dripping but now she has to clean up her board” haha #foodbloggerproblems)

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — January 16, 2013 at 1:09 am

Oh goodness, this is both wonderful and dangerous at the same time!

Heather @girlichef — January 16, 2013 at 7:04 am

This would be seriously dangerous to have around the house – I’d have to physically restrain myself. DEEEEElicious!

Nancy @ gottagetbaked — January 18, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Boo hoo hoo – I’m sobbing over the fact that I don’t own an ice cream maker. I think I should splurge and buy the ice cream attachment for my mixer. What do you think? (I only ask cause I know you’ll say yes, as opposed to my husband – lol). Your photos are stunningly gorgeous, Jennie. As for the ice cream? I’m having difficulty speaking due to the drool that’s running down my chin. It looks fabulous – and so perfect for this very special birthday party.

Bea — January 19, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Peanut Butter Cup & Chocolate Chip Ice Cream? Yes, pleeeeease. Looks fantastic and I wish I could have a scoop through my screen :)

Erin @ Texanerin Baking — January 21, 2013 at 3:35 pm

It looks PERFECT! Mine never looks like that. Great job! And those melty shots… yum! Chocolate peanut butter anything is welcome at any party, but ice cream?! Yes!

Charlie - Baking At Home — April 26, 2013 at 6:22 pm

oooohhhhh this recipe sounds awesome. I can’t wait to try it with my next batch of brownies. Peanut butter makes everything better!

1. Pingback: Goat Cheese Rigatoni Alfredo Recipe for #SundaySupper

2. Pingback: Nutella Shortbread Bars for #SundaySupper | kelly bakes

3. Pingback: Tomato Florentine Soup and A Special #SundaySupper Birthday! | Mama.Mommy.Mom.

4. Pingback: Budget Friendly Breakfast – Freezable Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Sandwiches #SundaySupper

5. Pingback: Lasagna Soup - Happy Birthday #SundaySupper - The Girl in the Little Red KitchenThe Girl in the Little Red Kitchen

6. Pingback: Honey Butter Dinner Rolls #SundaySupper | Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts

7. Pingback: Happy Birthday #SundaySupper Pork Ragu and mini mac and cheese cups | Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends

8. Pingback: Polish Hunter's Stew {Bigos} for #SundaySupper | MarocMama

9. Pingback: Dorie’s Chicken in a Pot for #SundaySupper’s First BirthdayHip Foodie Mom | Hip Foodie Mom

10. Pingback: Asian Meatballs for #SundaySupper’s First Birthday! | gotta get baked

11. Pingback: Lightened Up Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken from The Meltaways for #SundaySupper — Cupcakes & Kale Chips

12. Pingback: Caramel Apple Bread | It’s Your Birthday #SundaySupper! | The Foodie Army Wife

13. Pingback: Easy Italian Wedding Soup #SundaySupper | Webicurean

14. Pingback: Skillet Corn and Edamame with Spinach and Bacon | Lovely Pantry

15. Pingback: Wine Pairings for #SundaySupper Birthday Celebration - ENOFYLZ Wine Blog

16. Pingback: Chicken Burger/CurrySlaw #SundaySupper - Cindy's Recipes and Writings

17. Pingback: Feijoada Portuguese Bean Stew #SundaySupper

18. Pingback: Portuguese Spicy Pulled Pork Sandwiches #SundaySupper — Family Foodie

19. Pingback: Carrot Gratin of the Gods

20. Pingback: Apple Pull Apart Bread with Caramel Drizzle & Happy Birthday #SundaySupper | Cravings of a Lunatic

21. Pingback: Pepperoni and Mozzarella Pull Apart by Noshing With The Nolands inspired by In the Kitchen with KP #SundaySupper | Noshing With The Nolands

22. Pingback: Mexican Hot Cocoa Sandwich Cookies | Chocolate Moosey