Allspice Cinnamon Chip Streusel Muffins
Happy Monday, all!
Mondays aren’t normally my favorite day of the week, but this Monday is different. After being confined to my house and my couch for two weeks due to a foot injury, it’s good to get back to my normal life (even if that means going back to work).
I jammed my foot on a rock almost three weeks ago and what I thought was a broken bone was actually a pretty serious infection. I would have never thought jamming your foot on a rock would lead to an infection. The first time I ever walk around my parents’ back yard barefoot, and I end up with two infected toes. If it’s going to happen, it’s going to happen to me.
Not being able to walk meant no cooking or baking, which just about killed me. I’m not equipped for sitting still and watching television all day. I’m accustomed to being active, running around like a crazy person in order to fit everything into my day, and being in the kitchen. Naturally, I got a bit sad and I may have eaten an entire box of Entenmann’s crumb donuts to make myself feel better.
This week’s muffin recipe is an allspice streusel muffin, which I adapted slightly by adding a handful of cinnamon chips and some orange zest and juice. You don’t know how happy I was to get back into the kitchen and make these muffins. I was giddy with excitement.
The warmth of the allspice warms the soul of these chilly fall mornings, and the cinnamon chips give the muffins an extra burst of spicy sweetness.
These muffins get a generous sprinkling of brown sugar and allspice streusel that creates a lovely sweet crunch on top of the muffin.
Ooooooh, look at those sexy cinnamon studs. Drool!
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground allspice
- 5 tbs. cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbs. baking powder
- 1 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup cinnamon chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line or grease a muffin tin.
- For the streusel:
- Place flour, brown sugar, and allspice in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Use a pastry cutter to cut in the butter until the mixture resembles course crumbs. Set aside.
- For the muffins:
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, allspice and salt.
- In a large glass measuring cup or small bowl, whisk the melted butter, eggs, milk, orange juice, orange zest, and vanilla extract together until well combined.
- Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and whisk until just combined.
- Fold in the cinnamon chips.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffins tins. Top the muffins with 1 tablespoon of streusel.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean.
- Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully
- removing each muffin from its mold.
Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week.