Espresso & Toasted Almond Semifreddo ~ #SundaySupper
It’s here, #icecreamweek is finally here! I hope you have your expandable pants ready, because I’m knee deep in ice cream, and I’m going to need help eating it. Who’s in?
It’s also Sunday, which means it’s time to celebrate another #SundaySupper. The theme this week is “Beat the Heat.” I don’t know what the weather is like in your neck of the woods, but it’s hot Baltimore. Big, frizzy hair, upper lip sweat hot. That’s hot! So, we’re making meals that require little effort and no oven.
Did know that July is National Ice Cream Month? Jen from Juanita’s Cocina, Carla from Chocolate Moosey, and I decided to celebrate this glorious food holiday with an entire week of the cold stuff. That’s 21 different ice cream recipes. Wowza!
I made an espresso and toasted almond semifreddo to kick off this scoop-filled, caramel-drizzled, cherry-topped week of frozen deliciousness.
This semifreddo is delicious and extremely easy to make. The hardest part is whisking the egg yolks over simmering water until they become thick. I promise you that the 10 minutes of whisking is completely worth the effort.
You’re going to want to whisk the egg yolks until they become thick and the mixture doubles in size. The process took me exactly 10 minutes.
It was hard to wait the four hours this dessert takes to chill. I did cheat and take a little nibble before I placed it in the freezer. Oh my, was it good. I just wanted to forget freezing it and eat it by the spoonfuls directly out of the bowl I mixed it in.
This semifreddo is a coffee lovers dream come true. It has a nice bold coffee flavor without overwhelming the dish. It’s smooth, creamy, and light. I proceeded to eat this as soon as I was finished photographing it. Yum!
Enjoy your #SundaySupper and come back tomorrow for more #icecreamweek frozen treats.
Check out what the other #SundaySupper foodies are making:
- Refreshing Chunky Shrimp Salsa ~ The Weekend Gourmet
- Totally Cool Green Hummus ~ My Kitchen and I
- Smoked Whitefish Salad Bagel Bites ~ Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Watermelon and Goat Cheese Bites ~ Chelsea’s Culinary Indulgence
- Strawberry Gazpacho ~ Diabetic Foodie
- Grilled Loaded Baked Potato Skins ~ In the Kitchen with KP
- Sweet & Tangy Chili Lime Fruit Salad ~ Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
#BeatTheHeat Salads, Soups, & Sides:
- Cool Cucumber Salad ~ Momma’s Meals
- Lemony Garbanzo Kale Salad with Tuna ~ Shockingly Delicious
- Hungarian Cucumber Salad Recipe – Uborkasaláta Recept ~ The Watering Mouth
- Tomato Salad with Macadamia Cheese ~ Cooking’s Good Vegetarian Cafe
- Char-Grilled Corn Salad ~ The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Gazpacho ~ The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Summertime Sweet Pea Salad ~ Granny’s Down Home Southern Cooking
- Apple and Poppy Seed Coleslaw ~ Damn Delicious
- Cold Cucumber and Orzo Salad ~ Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Chilly Dilly Cucumber Soup with Shrimp ~ Comfy Cuisine
- Mom’s Creamy Pea Salad ~ Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Greek (Yogurt) Potato Salad ~ Family Foodie
#BeatTheHeat Main Dishes:
- Rainbow Slaw with Steak and Chipotle Crema ~ Cooking By The Seat of our Pants
- Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken ~ Make Dinner Easy
- Rolling with Kimbap ~ Kimchi Mom
- Ranch Chicken Tacos ~ Pippi’s In The Kitchen Again
- Serrano Ham, Mozzarella and Arugula Sandwiches ~ Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Asian Veggie Lettuce Wraps ~ The Lemon Bowl
- Slow Cooker Root Beer Pulled Pork ~ Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- No Bake Pizza ~ The Meltaways
- Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream ~ Supper for a Steal
- No-Cook Egg-Free Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream ~ Chocolate Moosey
- Peach Sorbet ~ Magnolia Days
- Gluten-Free Cookie Dough Ice Cream ~ No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Icebox Chocolate Pie ~ Doggie at the Dinner Table
- Honey and Elderflower Ice Cream ~ Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Blackberry Lavender Popsicles ~ Girlichef
- Frozen Chocolate Bananas ~ In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Strawberry-Lime Margarita Ice Cream ~ Cookistry
- Elegant Fruit Jellies ~ Happy Baking Days
- Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches ~ That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream ~ Baker Street
- Vanilla Peach Swirl Frozen Yogurt ~ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Espresso and Toasted Almond Semifreddo ~ The Messy Baker
- Mango Ice Cream ~ Queen’s Notebook
- Raspberry Mousse ~ Basic and Delicious
- White Apricot & Honeysuckle Sorbet ~ Family Spice
- Biscoff Ice Cream Cupcakes ~ Juanita’s Cocina
#BeatTheHeat Drinks & Cocktails:
- Shirley Temple ~ Cravings of a Lunatic
- Coco-Limeade ~ What Smells So Good?
- Prickly Pear White Wine Spritzer ~ Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Classic Daquiri ~ Katherine Martinelli
- Salty Lassi ~ Soni’s Food for Thought
- Blueberry Mint Lemonade ~ Pescetarian Journal
- Sweet Basil & Cucumber Melon Smoothie ~ Daily Dish Recipes
Wine Pairings Provided By: ENOFYLZ
Espresso & Toasted Almond Semifreddo
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tbs. plus 1 tsp. instant espresso powder, divided
3 tbs. honey
3 tbs. sugar
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup toasted almonds
Measure out 1 cup of heavy cream and add 1 tbs. of instant espresso powder. Whisk to combine. Once dissolved, whip the cream with an electric mixture until medium peaks form. Place in the refrigerator.
Make an ice bath in a large bowl and set aside. Add an inch of water to a medium-sized sauce pan and heat to simmer. In a large heat-proof bowl, add egg yolks, remaining espresso powder, honey, and sugar. Whisk to combine. Set the bowl over the simmering heat (making sure the water doesn’t touch the bottom of the bowl) and whisk constantly until the mixture becomes thick, about 10 minutes.
When the mixture becomes thick, remove from heat and place the bowl in the ice bath. Whisk the mixture until it cools, about 3 minutes. Fold in the whipped cream. Place the mixture in a shallow bowl and top with toasted almonds. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 4 hours to set.
Adapted from Hungry Girl Por Vida