Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake

I’m craving summer like I crave chocolate. I want to run around it flip-flops and sundresses. I want to sit on the beach with a tropical drink under my umbrella while I read a sappy romantic novel. Summer is so carefree. There are bonfires to enjoy, beach parties to attend, and music by the water. And, here in Baltimore, summer means crab season. There’s nothing like a deck party with good friends, beer, and steamed crabs.

To help assuage my craving for summer, I decided to make a lemony dessert. I made a lovely and light poppy seed pound cake. If you like lemons, you will adore this cake. The lemon flavor is front and center. I love that this cake has a delicate tartness, causing your lips to pucker ever so slightly. Oh, and there’s glaze. Yum! The glaze gets drizzled onto the cake while the cake is still warm, creating a sweet, crunchy crust, and a moist center.

The crust is so crunchy and delicious.

Mmmm, glaze!  It makes a cake just a little more special. I love watching it ooze over the sides of the cake.

This cake really is a beauty. And, even better, it’s absolutely delicious. Enjoy!

Happy eating,

Jennie

Recipe:

from flour bakery

2 cups cake flour

3/4 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. kosher salt

1/2 cup plus 3 tbs. unsalted butter, melted and cooled

1/4 cup heavy cream, at room temperature

3 tbs. grated lemon zest (about 2 lemons)

4 tbs. poppy seeds

1 tbs. fresh lemon juice

4 eggs

1 1/4 cups sugar

Lemon Glaze:

1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar

1 to 2 tbs. fresh lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.

In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, cream, lemon zest, lemon juice, and poppy seeds. The mixture should have the consistency of a thick liquid. If the butter hardens into lumps, heat the mixture gently until the butter melts again. Set aside.

Using a stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment (or a handheld mixer), beat together the eggs and sugar on medium speed for 4 minutes, or until it’s a light and fluffy lemon color. If you use a handheld mixer, it may take a little longer.

Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture until just combined. Fold about one-fourth of the egg-flour mixture into the butter-cream mixture to lighten it. Then fold in the remaining egg-flour mixture just until combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan.

Bake for 1 hour, or until the top of the cake is golden brown and springs back when you press it in the middle. Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes.

To make the glaze:

While the cake is cooling, in a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar and enough lemon juice to make an easily spreadable, smooth glaze.

When the cake has cooled for at least 30 minutes, pop it out of the pan and place it on the rack. Spoon the glaze over the top of the warm cake, letting it drizzle down the sides.

Slice and enjoy.

34 Responses to “Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake”

Soni — May 3, 2012 at 9:38 am

Gorgeous Cake!!I also cannot wait for the summer my friend :)Your cake looks like a perfect treat to enjoy on any day!Never made a cake with poppy seeds before although I love them!The drizzle over the top just elevates the deliciousness to greater heights!Love it :)

• themessybakerblog replied May 3rd, 2012 at 11:33 am

Thanks, Soni. It really was a tasty cake. Oh my, yes, the glaze was so good.

juanitascocina — May 3, 2012 at 10:09 am

I just know you thought of me while you were making this.

Adding this to my repertoire of lemony goodness.

• themessybakerblog replied May 3rd, 2012 at 11:32 am

I sure was. I know how much you like anything lemony.

Kiri W. — May 3, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I’ve always loved poppy seeds, and my grandparents always had poppy seed for me when I visited :) Looks beautiful!

RavieNomNoms — May 3, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Looks lovely! I just tried my boyfriends mom’s recipe for a poppy seed bread and it was sooo good. This sounds like it would be right up my alley with that crunchy crust!

This does look pretty tasty. In fact your picture does show really how moist it is-yum! Lemon and poppyseeds are a classic favorite and you did an excellent job on this recipe!
    Also, I am so ready for the summer. Not so much the scorching heat but all the outdoor activities that come with the change of the season. Have a great day!

Moo's Pantry — May 3, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Mmmmm, lemony goodness!!! I love the name ‘pound cake’, it sounds so WRONG but oh-so-RIGHT! Thanks for sharing! Moo x

kale — May 3, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Gorgeous! Very nice ooze. :)

• themessybakerblog replied May 6th, 2012 at 10:40 am

Thanks, Kale. I love the ooze. My favorite part. There’s just something about gooey glaze that gets me every time.

Food Stories — May 3, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Nothing says summer like lemon. This looks fabulous :-)

• themessybakerblog replied May 6th, 2012 at 10:41 am

I completely agree. You can’t have summer without crisp, tart lemons. Thank you.

Choc Chip Uru — May 3, 2012 at 5:37 pm

I love the combination of lemon and poppyseeds in anything and everything so this is totally up my alley :D
    Thank yoU!

• themessybakerblog replied May 6th, 2012 at 10:40 am

Thanks, Choc Chip Uru. It’s one of my favorite combos, too.

2katjaskitchen — May 3, 2012 at 9:41 pm

This is by far one of my favorite combos :) Thanks for sharing!

• themessybakerblog replied May 6th, 2012 at 10:39 am

I agree. It’s one of my favorites, too. I grew up eating poppy seed desserts.

Anita at Hungry Couple — May 4, 2012 at 1:37 am

It’s strange but, as much as I love chocolate, come spring and summer I just want fruity desserts, pies and berry cakes and such. This lemon cake sounds heavenly.

• themessybakerblog replied May 6th, 2012 at 10:38 am

I feel the same way. They’re light, crisp, and not to heavy. Thank you.

Villy — May 4, 2012 at 4:53 am

Indeed, it looks delicious!

Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) — May 4, 2012 at 2:53 pm

this sounds perfect for summer! i just love lemon flavored desserts, and this sounds wonderfully lemony!

m&m — May 4, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Yum! I love lemon poppy seed! It reminds me of being a kid and having lemon poppy seed muffins before school…

lovefoodcookfood — May 5, 2012 at 7:56 am

Lemon and poppy seeds go so well together. Great recipe. :-)

Kaitlin — May 14, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I’ve been on a lemon and poppy seed kick too. This pound cake looks fabulous!

Stephanie — May 15, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Lemon poppyseed cake/muffins are always my favorite! And in pound cake form? Yes, please!

Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes — May 16, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Poppy seeds and lemon go so well together! And anything from Flour is worth baking!

1. Pingback: What’s Been Happenin’ In The Cocina ~ 5/4/12 | Juanita's Cocina