Coffee Break Muffins

Does anyone else struggle to get themselves out of bed on a Monday morning, or is it just me? I don’t know about you, but Mondays are rough for me. What? The weekend is over already, but it just got here.

I’m a bit scary in the morning. You don’t want to mess with me until I’ve had at least 1 cup of coffee. I trudge around the house in zombie mode, arms extended, feeling my way around the house until my eyes finally realize they should be opened- kind of like Frankenstein. I even moan and grunt like Frankenstein in the morning. Like I said, a bit scary. Oh, and the hair. The hair is just awful. Half of it’s sticking up as if someone took a balloon to it, and the rest is plastered to my face. Scary! Some people thrive in the early morning, but I’m not one of them.

Don’t worry non-morning lovers, I’ve got your back. I made coffee break muffins to help us out of our morning stupor. They’re packed with espresso powder, strongly brewed coffee, and mini chocolate chips. They’re a dream come true in the morning, and they’ll get ya moving in no time.

These muffins taste like a mocha latte. They’re a moist, cakey muffin.

These muffins took no time to whip up. I used a jumbo muffin tin because Monday morning calls for a jumbo muffin. Nothing else will do.

Hope this muffin helps shake you out of your Monday stupor. Enjoy!

Recipe:

adapted from Dorie Greenspan

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/3 cup sugar

1 tbs. instant espresso powder

1 tbs. baking powder

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/8 tsp. salt

1/3 cup light brown sugar

1 cup strong coffee, cooled

1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled

1 large egg

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin or a 6-cup jumbo muffin tin. Feel free to line your pan with papers instead of greasing them.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, espresso powder, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk the coffee, melted butter, egg, and vanilla until well combined. Pour the liquid mixture over the dry mixture and, with a rubber spatula, stir to blend. A few lumps are okay. Fold in your chocolate chips. Divide batter evenly among the muffin cups.

Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the muffin tin to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before removing the muffins from the tin.

33 Responses to “Coffee Break Muffins”

chefconnie — April 23, 2012 at 9:28 am

Ugh…what did you say it is Monday morning….yes I am waking up rough also. Great recipe.

[email protected] — April 23, 2012 at 9:51 am

This does look like one that would perk you up a bit on Monday morning. Monday is the worst day of the week! I think you had me at “they taste like a mocha latte”- that is an irresistable flavor in my book. Also, if these taste eve 1/2 as good as they look, I know I would be very satisfied. Great post!

akitchenaddiction — April 23, 2012 at 10:02 am

Muffins that taste like a mocha latte?! Yes, please, especially for a Monday morning! This is a great recipe!

• themessybakerblog replied April 23rd, 2012 at 10:16 am

Thanks. They gave me the boost I needed on this dreary Monday morning.

Kristina — April 23, 2012 at 11:00 am

Hahah ugh I NEED one of these this morning…these look super tasty!! And your pictures are gorgeous with that turquoise placemat! Yummy recipe!

• themessybakerblog replied April 23rd, 2012 at 11:34 am

Thanks, Kristina. I’m a coffee addict. Without it, I don’t function.

Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking — April 23, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a coffee-flavored muffin, but it makes perfect sense! These look so scrumptious and perfect for a lazy weekend morning. Thanks for sharing!

Villy — April 23, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I also NEED my coffee in the morning! These muffins make a great breakfast :)

Food Stories — April 23, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I am a total coffee fiend so I know I would love these. Anything with espresso is okay in my book :-)

Jenn and Seth (@HomeSkilletCook) — April 23, 2012 at 4:38 pm

yeah, i totally need coffee to function, i’m miserable without it! these sound perfect for a monday morning!!

juanitascocina — April 23, 2012 at 6:35 pm

You do. not. want. to talk to my wife before kawfee. In fact, she needs an hour after her cup o’ joe for it to kick in. I, on the other hand, am one of those freaky sunshiny morning people. You wouldn’t like me. LOL!

But, I’d LOOOOOVE these! Yum Jennie! Maybe I can make these and tell my wife that these are “my coffee”. :D

• themessybakerblog replied April 23rd, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Unfortunately, I’m the same way. I’m a bit of a grouch. My mom is like you. She wakes up a 5 am and is happy as a clam.

shannon — April 23, 2012 at 6:44 pm

um, i’ll take a dozen of these RIGHT. AWAY. Because i can “function” before coffee in the morning, but not well. These would probably help. And they look spectacular.

• themessybakerblog replied April 23rd, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Thanks, Shannon. I don’t function very well, and I’m a bit grouchy before my jolt of caffeine.

THE BAKING APPRENTICE — April 23, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Whoa, 2 birds with one stone, you totally did a great job combining caffiene and coffee!

Katie — April 23, 2012 at 9:40 pm

If you make muffins like this, I will happily make you coffee every morning. As fancy as you want. :)

Marian — April 24, 2012 at 12:55 am

Oh, these look so yummy. Quick question: instant espresso powder…I don’t have any. Anything I can substitute? If not, where do I get espresso powder??

• themessybakerblog replied April 24th, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I would just leave it out, or if you have instant coffee powder, you can use a tbs. of that instead. It just gives the muffin that extra boost of coffee flavor. You’ll still get plenty of the coffee flavor from the cup of coffee you’re adding. Just make sure the cup of coffee you add is very strong.

Must Come Hungry — April 24, 2012 at 2:23 pm

These look awesome. I’m so not a morning or Monday person AT ALL.

Randilea @ Life As I Bake It — April 24, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Those muffins look good! Your pictures are great too!

As a new follower who thinks you have a great blog, I am passing along the Versatile Blogger Award to you! Please come by my blog and check out your award! http://www.lifeasibakeit.com/2012/04/versatile-blogger-award.html

crunchycreamysweet — April 24, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I am with you on mornings, just in general :) I will have to try your muffin recipe – sounds scrumptious!

comowater.com — April 25, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Mocha latte muffins! Count me in! :D

Baking Serendipity — April 26, 2012 at 12:02 am

I need extra coffee on Monday mornings for sure. This is the perfect way to get it! Love the muffins :)

Choc Chip Uru — April 27, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Seeing as I hate coffee I trudge around like Frankenstein until I get my breakfast – I think this beauty of a muffin goes both ways :D
    Yum!

FoodBabbles — April 29, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Don’t you just LOVE these muffins?!? We all did our own adaptations of this recipe for #MuffinMonday a few weeks ago but I had to make the original cause it sounded so darn good. One of my very favorite muffin recipes. Lovely post!

• themessybakerblog replied April 29th, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I really did love this recipe. I especially loved the almond flour. I think I’m going to join #muffinmonday as soon as my semester is over.

Live a Sweet Life — April 29, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Great recipe. I definitely want to give it a try!

• themessybakerblog replied April 29th, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Thank you. They were so good. Definitely a great morning pick-me-up.

Moo's Pantry — May 1, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Can you do a Tuesday muffin? I hate Tuesdays… :( Maybe these but with cream on?!!! Moo x

Moo's Pantry — May 1, 2012 at 2:39 pm

A lush recipe…. mmmmm Moo x