Classic Chicken Parmesan
Happy Sunday! I made you an extremely delicious and comforting meal. This Classic Chicken Parmesan is one of my very favorite recipes. What’s not to love about crispy breaded chicken over pasta with homemade marinara and melted mozzarella cheese… Absolutely nothing!
I made classic chicken parmesan for Sunday supper this week. Today wasn’t the best day to take pictures because of the dreary, rainy weather, but I made it work. As soon as I was finished taking pictures, I turn around to my husband waiting, bowl in hand, for his share of the chicken parmesan. Chicken parmesan happens to be one of his favorite meals. He gets excited when it shows up on the menu.
I made my simple homemade marinara sauce for this meal, but you can just as easily open up your favorite jar of marinara to make it even easier. I make a ton of marinara, separate it into freezer bags, and store it in the freezer for later use. It really comes in handy, and it’s very economical. Plus, it’s tastier than its jarred counterpart.
I love this classic chicken parmesan because it’s a rustic and hearty meal. It’s guaranteed to satisfy your guests. Plus, you can place the pasta and the chicken in a large serving bowl, set it in the center of your table, and let your guests serve themselves. Trust me, you’ll have a swarm of people fighting over who gets served first.
Add a fresh garden salad, and you have yourself the perfect #SundaySupper meal to enjoy with your loved ones.
Classic Chicken Parmesan
Yield: 6 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 chicken breasts
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 pound dried spaghetti
- In a large sauce pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add onions, green pepper, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook until veggies are tender, about 3 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, sugar, italian seasoning, basil, salt, and pepper. Turn the heat down to low and cover. Cook for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Use an immersion blender to blend the marinara until smooth. If you like chunky marinara, skip the previous step. Add the parmesan cheese and stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Pound out the chicken until it's about a 1/2-inch thick. In a shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. To a second shallow bowl, add eggs and a pinch of salt and pepper, whisk to combine.
- In a large pan, add 3-4 tablespoons olive oil. Dip your chicken in the egg mixture, then dip it directly in the bread crumb mixture. Coat the chicken really good on both sides. Do this to the remaining 5 chicken breasts. Add the breaded chicken to the hot pan. You may need two pans for 6 pieces of chicken, depending on how big a pan you have. Cook the chicken for 3 minutes on each side. Top each piece of chicken with a generous helping of mozzarella cheese. Transfer the pan, or pans, to the oven. Cook for 5 minutes until the cheese melts and chicken finishes cooking.
- Cook your spaghetti following the instructions of the pasta box.
- Serve the parmesan chicken on top of the cooked spaghetti and top with marinara and a sprinkling of grated parmesan cheese.